Level 5

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

kabads

Post Thu May 19, 2005 8:13 am

output is jumbled

I'm 99% there, but my output is jumbled - it seems that I'm getting extra spaces that aren't required (one at the beginning of the string and one at the end).
<<

michael_g_hu

Post Fri May 20, 2005 12:12 am

I know the banner is the linux command , but how can I use this command
banner () what should be in the ()
<<

thesamet

Python Challenge Leader

Post Fri May 20, 2005 12:41 am

michael_g_hu wrote:I know the banner is the linux command , but how can I use this command
banner () what should be in the ()

you don't need the banner command. the filename banner is just used to provide you with inspiration to solve the riddle.
<<

mbwardle

Post Sun May 22, 2005 3:04 am

suppressing extra spaces

My output wasn't recognizable. I later realized that print "string" (i.e. print with a scalar argument) implicitly adds a new line, and print "string", (i.e. print with a tuple argument) implicitly adds a space, so it's little wonder I couldn't discern anything.

I ended up resorting to sys.stdout.write(), but there must surely be some way to make print behave.

There's lots of little annoying things in Python so far. :-(
<<

naib

Post Sun May 22, 2005 3:15 am

HOw i did it was take use of the "print" using a newline and just loop through the list and print the concatinated data

that way it forms the BANNER data
<<

pfafrich

Post Tue May 24, 2005 7:00 am

repetition

repetition
repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition
<<

alexsolex

Post Mon May 30, 2005 3:28 pm

Hi !
All these hints are not very helpfull for a beginner, furthermore, can you imagine when this beginner is not english speaking as natural language......
I found "Peak Hell" as needed, but then I don't know what to do with these lists and no clue with the name of the .p file.....
What can I do ? Keep stuck on this 5th challenge ? I just can't think about it any second !!
<<

bb1898

Post Tue May 31, 2005 2:26 am

After Peak Hell?

alexsolex wrote:Hi !
All these hints are not very helpfull for a beginner, furthermore, can you imagine when this beginner is not english speaking as natural language......
I found "Peak Hell" as needed, but then I don't know what to do with these lists and no clue with the name of the .p file.....

If you found "Peak Hell" you've jumped the language hurdle successfully for this riddle - I'm sorry to say there is more of this to come in other levels. Now go to the address in rspyc's post dated May 13, 10:16, in this thread.

Look at the example given there and then look at your lists again. Then write the rest of your script.
<<

alexsolex

Post Tue May 31, 2005 2:58 pm

no :( sorry....
I don't understand correctly all that is explained... too much words are missing in my vocabulary...
Maybe shall I stop this challenge ! :(
Anyway, thank you for trying to help me !
<<

drigz

Post Tue May 31, 2005 4:10 pm

To clarify, to avoid newlines troubles, either using sys.stdout.write() or create a string and then print that.
<<

triumph

Post Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:56 pm

hey, i'm kinda stuck on this one too..
regularly, i didn't use python in order to solve the previous levels (since I donno the language :] ), and i understood that python is not a necessity here either..
anyway, i managed to understand what the relevant module is (although I have no idea what I've just written means :] ), found the data page, noticed some recurring pattern, but that's it.. I have no idea how to proceed from here..
hints will be greatly appreciated.. :]
<<

bb1898

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:23 am

What to do with the pattern?

triumph wrote:anyway, i managed to understand what the relevant module is (although I have no idea what I've just written means :] ), found the data page, noticed some recurring pattern, but that's it.. I have no idea how to proceed from here..
hints will be greatly appreciated.. :]

It's all here in this thread. I found this post the most helpful at the point you seem to be stuck at:

There are a number of unix commands at http://www.sikh-history.com/computers/u ... mands.html . The entry for the one you're looking for has an example of its output.

(rspyc, May 13, 10:16, page 4 of the thread)

Look at this example and look at your recurring pattern.
<<

RaH

Post Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:10 am

I know the module I'm supposed to use, what I lack is a clue how to implement it and with what data.
<<

RaH

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:59 am

Oh my. For you perl users think figlet.
<<

dc949

Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:42 pm

here's the clues.

figure out how to pronounce it.
look at the data, and determine the type
figure out the pattern with numbers
notice the name of the file your reading from
put it all together, do the math and read your output.

I have to admit, this one was quite abstract b/c I've never head of "peak hill" before, so my friend cheated for me there. Once I figured that out, and learned enough python (I, too, had been doing them all in PHP) to get something, then find out the type of the variable, then notice the ( and [ to figure out the dimentions... then I had to get some hints here, looked at the link earlier in this thread... noticed the 95s and then it was simple from there!

Quite enjoyable challenges thus far, but this one bordered on the line of being too difficult. This thread is all that saved it (and without spoiling it, mind you!).
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints