Level 25

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

rspyc

Post Tue May 17, 2005 3:43 pm

Level 25

Solving 23 and 24 went relatively smooth, but this one has me baffled. I don't even know where to begin. I see waves and reflections in the water (and somehow they don't look completely natural) and a jigsaw puzzle, but I have no idea how to do anything useful with those.
Last edited by rspyc on Tue May 17, 2005 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

rspyc

Post Tue May 17, 2005 4:57 pm

Should I attach any meaning to the fact that the image in level *25* contains *25* puzzle pieces? Or is that just a coincidence?
<<

birkenfeld

Post Wed May 18, 2005 10:42 am

There is an irregularity again, which you should know by now...

Well, I only got the first (and least significant) part yet, the main thing is still to figure out.
<<

birkenfeld

Post Wed May 18, 2005 1:33 pm

Ha! Got it! Ingenious!

Well, now I have to find out how to apologize...
<<

stedi

Post Thu May 19, 2005 7:11 am

nice one. this took quite some unexpected turns. I'll still have to apologize, though...
<<

rspyc

Post Fri May 20, 2005 5:22 am

birkenfeld wrote:There is an irregularity again, which you should know by now...

Damn this is so frustrating... I've been looking at the picture for hours, but I don't see anything useful. I know it's there, but I don't know what or where.

Something I 'should know by now'... ? I went through all the previous levels, but I didn't find anything similar.
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Fri May 20, 2005 5:52 pm

rspyc wrote:
birkenfeld wrote:There is an irregularity again, which you should know by now...

Damn this is so frustrating... I've been looking at the picture for hours, but I don't see anything useful. I know it's there, but I don't know what or where.

Something I 'should know by now'... ? I went through all the previous levels, but I didn't find anything similar.

Yup, you have, but you're not catching the hinted-at meaning. If you're not finding that meaning in the picture, try looking at something else in this level.
<<

johnlr

Post Sat May 21, 2005 4:06 am

UncleTimmy wrote:Yup, you have, but you're not catching the hinted-at meaning. If you're not finding that meaning in the picture, try looking at something else in this level.

I can see two things other than the actual picture. One seems to be a dead end, the other could have a hinted-at-meaning but maybe my coffee is not strong enough to detect it yet. Tomorrow I will try to make extraordinarily strong coffee and see if that helps. :D
<<

tah

Post Sat May 21, 2005 7:04 am

johnlr wrote:
UncleTimmy wrote:Yup, you have, but you're not catching the hinted-at meaning. If you're not finding that meaning in the picture, try looking at something else in this level.

I can see two things other than the actual picture. One seems to be a dead end, the other could have a hinted-at-meaning but maybe my coffee is not strong enough to detect it yet. Tomorrow I will try to make extraordinarily strong coffee and see if that helps. :D

I envy you -- it looks like it's going to require extraordinarily strong coffee just for me to find the two things that aren't the actual picture. :wink:
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Sat May 21, 2005 9:50 am

johnlr wrote:[I can see two things other than the actual picture ...

In general, there are three: the page title, the picture caption, and the page source. One of those is absent on this level, so I assume you've found the other two -- congratulations :wink:. There's an oddity in one of them that's screamingly obvious -- not that it's obvious exactly what to do, but that it's obvious it's saying you need to do something else to make progress. If it's still driving you nuts:

Lbh'ir frra gung r**y tvzzvpx orsber.
<<

rspyc

Post Sat May 21, 2005 2:54 pm

Finally I made some progress :-)

Once again, I've been very close right from the beginning; it just didn't click. Amazing how much time and hints it sometimes can take to make that click.

Damn, that just might have destroyed my plan of going to sleep early today :-)
<<

tah

Post Sat May 21, 2005 4:08 pm

UncleTimmy wrote:
johnlr wrote:[I can see two things other than the actual picture ...

In general, there are three: the page title, the picture caption, and the page source. One of those is absent on this level, so I assume you've found the other two -- congratulations :wink:. There's an oddity in one of them that's screamingly obvious -- not that it's obvious exactly what to do, but that it's obvious it's saying you need to do something else to make progress. If it's still driving you nuts:

Doh! That was one of the first things I noticed and I tried a pile of things on it, but it was the wrong pile of things and then I went off exploring a bunch of blind alleys.
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Sat May 21, 2005 4:52 pm

tah wrote:Doh! That was one of the first things I noticed and I tried a pile of things on it, but it was the wrong pile of things and then I went off exploring a bunch of blind alleys.

Yup, me too, but not for a long time. When something isn't paying off, I drop it and cycle through to one of the other things I can see, wondering whether I've missed something it's trying to tell me. That certainly pays off here! "Ah, maybe I was on the right track, but missed the obvious other clues telling me how to vary it ..." Alas, that doesn't always work either :)
<<

johnlr

Post Sat May 21, 2005 7:47 pm

Aha caught me a nice looking fish. I'm sure I already tried the same bait yesterday, but maybe I missed one thing. 8)
<<

favila

Post Mon May 23, 2005 10:18 am

I'm not seeing or hearing anything useful in the waves. They just don't seem to fit together.
Next

Return to Python Challenge Hints