FAQ  •  Login

Level 17

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

traeki

Post Wed May 18, 2005 1:03 pm

I have the message, and I think I understand what to do with it, except that I don't know where to send it. I know who needs to get it, but I've no idea where they are. Any suggestions?
<<

rspyc

Post Wed May 18, 2005 1:10 pm

traeki wrote:I have the message, and I think I understand what to do with it, except that I don't know where to send it. I know who needs to get it, but I've no idea where they are. Any suggestions?

Remember what you did in level 13.
<<

traeki

Post Wed May 18, 2005 9:09 pm

Okay, so I'm trying to communicate the message, but I'm struggling because I can't figure out if what I'm trying is even approximately correct... How to ask a useful question without spoilers...hmm...

I thought maybe I should mimic what I got _to the letter_ so to speak, and each step gives me an identical error. I thought maybe you just had to persevere, but I've sent the message and still I hear nothing back. I'm a neophyte where the underlying technology is concerned, so I might just be doing something stupid. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

EDIT: I just had a thought. Should I be mimicing to more than just the letter? -- Hrm...that didn't seem to change anything, and now that I think about it the messages aren't the same length anyway.
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Wed May 18, 2005 9:25 pm

traeki wrote:... I thought maybe I should mimic what I got _to the letter_ so to speak, and each step gives me an identical error. I thought maybe you just had to persevere, but I've sent the message and still I hear nothing back. I'm a neophyte where the underlying technology is concerned, so I might just be doing something stupid. Any thoughts? ...

It's hard to get L's attention (perhaps because he's so old), but when you do he responds immediately. This level is hard for non-bakers! I don't know whether this will help, but it might: server cooking is a little different than client cooking. If you received something of the form XXX-YYYYYY, you want to drop the XXX- part in the client's (that's you) recipe: use plain YYYYYY instead.
<<

traeki

Post Wed May 18, 2005 9:29 pm

UncleTimmy wrote:
traeki wrote:... I thought maybe I should mimic what I got _to the letter_ so to speak, and each step gives me an identical error. I thought maybe you just had to persevere, but I've sent the message and still I hear nothing back. I'm a neophyte where the underlying technology is concerned, so I might just be doing something stupid. Any thoughts? ...

It's hard to get L's attention (perhaps because he's so old), but when you do he responds immediately. This level is hard for non-bakers! I don't know whether this will help, but it might: server cooking is a little different than client cooking. If you received something of the form XXX-YYYYYY, you want to drop the XXX- part in the client's (that's you) recipe: use plain YYYYYY instead.

Heh. The problem was so much simpler than I was making it:

Word to the wise: If you read "No! I mean Yes, BUT..." You READ WHAT IT SAYS. some stuff is important.
<<

rick_muller

Post Thu May 19, 2005 4:17 am

Still need a hint with lev 17

I'm probably just being bone-headed, but I still need a hint with level 17.

I've found a sequence of 117 characters, not 118. Am I doing something wrong?

I thought there was an obvious way to transform the 117 characters, but that didn't work. I minded my plusses, but I still got an error when I tried to transform and then decompress the stream.

Any hints? I've reread all of the posts here several times, but nothing is pointing me in the right direction.
<<

rick_muller

Post Thu May 19, 2005 5:25 am

Re: Still need a hint with lev 17

rick_muller wrote:I'm probably just being bone-headed, but I still need a hint with level 17.

I've found a sequence of 117 characters, not 118. Am I doing something wrong?

Nevermind, now. Indeed, I was missing the first character. Be careful about where you start with the chain...
<<

rick_muller

Post Thu May 19, 2005 9:06 am

Still need help

Well, I've found L, but I can't figure out the way to give him the appropriate message. Could someone give me a hint?

Also, is this possible with Python 2.3? The snack libraries changed a bit from 2.3 to 2.4.
<<

rick_muller

Post Fri May 20, 2005 5:51 am

Re: Still need help

rick_muller wrote:Well, I've found L, but I can't figure out the way to give him the appropriate message. Could someone give me a hint?

Also, is this possible with Python 2.3? The snack libraries changed a bit from 2.3 to 2.4.

Okay, I've figured it out.

To answer my own question, yes, you can solve this with Py2.3. However, I found it easier with Py2.4. That's a hint in itself.
<<

simonhang

Post Fri May 20, 2005 8:33 am

totally stuck on this level.
I went back to level 4 and busy with 12345, then get 118 number and That's it page.
What can I do with these numbers?
These numbers are too large to be a byte or char. what's the next.
Is there a compressed file to download or else.
Very confusing....
EDIT: solved. Yes, I was following the wrong chain. And the info was deleted. So I ignored it.
Last edited by simonhang on Sun May 29, 2005 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

thesamet

Python Challenge Leader

Post Fri May 20, 2005 8:41 am

simonhang wrote:totally stuck on this level.
I went back to level 4 and busy with 12345, then get 118 number and That's it page.
What can I do with these numbers?
These numbers are too large to be a byte or char. what's the next.
Is there a compressed file to download or else.
Very confusing....

maybe you missed something following the chain
<<

ajohnson

Post Fri May 20, 2005 4:41 pm

Haven't had alot of time, but I was yanking the wrong chain. Finished 4 & 13. Staring at L and can't figure out how to feed him. Never baked before. Still plugging away...
<<

ajohnson

Post Mon May 23, 2005 3:12 pm

Silly me. My baking was fine. I thought he was ignoring me because I was looking for him to give me back what I gave him, when it was right there to read in plain sight. On to 18..
<<

jpa

Post Sat May 28, 2005 9:53 am

I'm completely stuck. I've only found the three html pages, last of which tells to go back and play. I've also noted the connection to earlier level, and assume I'll have to figure out different nothing to start with.
Someone said to remember the cookies, but I have no idea how to feed 'cookies' to linkedlist.php (string leads it to the answer of the old puzzle). Should I somehow convert cookies to a number? How?
<<

jpa

Post Sat May 28, 2005 2:47 pm

jpa wrote:I'm completely stuck.

Not anymore :)
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints