Level 17

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

tzot

Post Tue May 10, 2005 8:59 am

Re: Stymied

Eridius wrote:I immediately recognized the picture for the older challenge, and I went back and did it again, but nothing came from it. I can't come up with any other inputs to plug into the old challenge.

That was my problem too. So, if you can't find any other inputs, try again without any, and the snack comes alright ;-)
<<

Eridius

Post Tue May 10, 2005 2:39 pm

Stymied again

Ok, I'm stumped again. I found the compressed file, but I can't decompress it. I tried playing with the plusses (although I suspect the second is irrelevant) but that didn't help. Could somebody please point me in the right direction here?

Thanks
<<

Dan

Post Tue May 10, 2005 3:44 pm

/usr/bin/file is your friend.
<<

Eridius

Post Tue May 10, 2005 4:07 pm

Dan, I know what type of file the compressed file is, but when I try to decompress it, I get Data integrity error when decompressing. I'm assuming that this is where the plus(es) come in, but I don't know what to do with it (them).
<<

Dan

Post Tue May 10, 2005 4:19 pm

Remember what the file's data originally looked like? Plusses have a special meaning in that encoding.
<<

Eridius

Post Tue May 10, 2005 5:03 pm

Thank you, I've finally solved it. I wasn't expecting pluses to have that meaning, because I always associated it with where the encoding was found, not the encoding itself.
<<

bubert0

Post Wed May 11, 2005 3:18 am

talking to L

Following the chain, I have found the message and I know who is L. I have guessed where L is hidden (did I miss something?), but I cannot find anywhere how to _give_ him the cooked message (knowing nothing about cookies (and cooking in general :wink: ), it was rather painful for me even to get here...)

So, any hint how to give L a cookie with Fs?
<<

rspyc

Post Wed May 11, 2005 3:23 am

Re: talking to L

bubert0 wrote:Following the chain, I have found the message and I know who is L. I have guessed where L is hidden (did I miss something?), but I cannot find anywhere how to _give_ him the cooked message (knowing nothing about cookies (and cooking in general :wink: ), it was rather painful for me even to get here...)

So, any hint how to give L a cookie with Fs?

Yeah, it was not easy for me too, since I don't know all that much about creating cookies.

Giving cookies is almost the same as getting cookies; creating the cookie in the first place was the difficult part for me. I cheated somewhat by taking one of the cookies I got, and modifying it to L's taste.
<<

bubert0

Post Wed May 11, 2005 3:42 am

Yeah, it was not easy for me too, since I don't know all that much about creating cookies.

Giving cookies is almost the same as getting cookies; creating the cookie in the first place was the difficult part for me. I cheated somewhat by taking one of the cookies I got, and modifying it to L's taste.

Thanks a lot :D, did the same thing (using save/load), 18 awaits...

Still I have a bad feeling about this level:
1. I guessed the L's location (wikipedia hint) - missed something?
2. How to cook a cookie in a rigourous manner?
<<

ajohnson

Post Fri May 13, 2005 2:20 pm

Argh. Can someone throw me a bone here? I'm not that Web smart, but I thought I combined the info from the previous level with this one properly, but it seems like most everything is deleted, and the stuff that isn't I'm clueless on. I've no idea where I'm supposed to get 118 of anything. Best I've come up with is 90. I've done all previous levels with what I'd like to think is a minimum of hint reading, mostly to learn python, but this one has me stumped.
<<

shade

Post Wed May 18, 2005 3:15 am

I don't find that hidden file.. Do I need a cookies' recipe ?

I found that the image has some extra informations encoded in it but I don't find how to extract them...

Any additional tip ?
<<

seriousken

Post Wed May 18, 2005 11:53 am

This is driving me crazy. I got the reference to the old page, and I saw the extra treat (at least I think I did) but I cannot for the life of me get beyond that. The treat makes no sense. No compressed file, no sequences, nuthin'. I must be missing something really obvious, but I've gone over every inch of both pages.
<<

rspyc

Post Wed May 18, 2005 12:00 pm

seriousken wrote:The treat makes no sense.

If you've got the right treat, it should make sense. Consider what you did the previous time you used the old page. You should do something similar but not the same; the treat tells you more about that.
<<

seriousken

Post Wed May 18, 2005 12:33 pm

rspyc wrote:If you've got the right treat, it should make sense. Consider what you did the previous time you used the old page. You should do something similar but not the same; the treat tells you more about that.

I may have the wrong treat, then. This one was on the level 4 page, and very cryptic. Just the phrase y***+s*****+h***+f*******+b***n******...

If that's not the droid I'm looking for, then I'm officially stumped.

Edit: D'oh. I was thinking waaaay to hard. I'm on the track now. Thanks!
Last edited by seriousken on Wed May 18, 2005 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

rspyc

Post Wed May 18, 2005 12:35 pm

seriousken wrote:I may have the wrong treat, then. This one was on the level 4 page, and very cryptic. Just the phrase y***+s*****+h***+f*******+b***n******...

That's the right one. You followed something on level 4, you should follow something else now. b***n******, in fact.
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints