Level 5

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

rspyc

Post Tue May 10, 2005 2:43 am

Re: still stuck...

abstractwhiz wrote:Been stuck on this one for too long...I have a feeling I'm looking at this list from the wrong angle. The hints aren't much help at the moment. Judging from the posts by people who've managed to solve it, I'll probably kick myself for not seeing the answer when I do get it. Still, what are you supposed to do with a bunch of hashes, spaces and numbers? I've flattened it out, split it into pieces, tried transforming numbers into characters - no use. Clearly I'm coming at this from the wrong direction...

I completely understand -- I took me a while too. The thing is that I needed a certain Python module, one that I had never looked at before. I'm not going to tell you the name of the module. Just note that it sounds somewhat like 'peak hell'.
<<

abstractwhiz

Post Tue May 10, 2005 2:47 am

Peak hell

I figured out the module ages ago. The problem is the dataset you get after you use it.
Just noticed an interesting pattern in it, though - might just get me to the answer...Off to follow it up.
<<

abstractwhiz

Post Tue May 10, 2005 2:59 am

YES!

Got it! The epiphany really is something!

For those who've figured out the module and gotten the dataset - notice that the list is made up of several lists...then check out the numbers in the tuples...Try a rather basic arithmetic operation on them.

Man, it feels good to be enlightened....
<<

abli

Post Tue May 10, 2005 12:51 pm

Re: Level 5 - Help!

abstractwhiz wrote:Hmmm....maybe I've pulled the input from the wrong place, but I doubt it. Just look at the page source. The place you haven't gone is where you should find the input. The name is a dead giveaway.

Yeah, i got it now. Somehow I didnt even notice that part. Funny how sometimes one looks but just doesnt see. (Even funnier is that it is mentioned in the post directly above mine :) )
<<

anachronic

Post Thu May 12, 2005 9:26 pm

I agree with a previous poster, that if you're familiar with a certain unix CLI command, it definitely helps, becuase the types of chars you get after un-peakhell'ing should be a big clue as to how to construct the eventual output/solution to see the answer
<<

bb1898

Post Fri May 13, 2005 2:59 am

Re: YES! - Sorry, NO!

abstractwhiz wrote:For those who've figured out the module and gotten the dataset - notice that the list is made up of several lists...then check out the numbers in the tuples...Try a rather basic arithmetic operation on them.

Did that - but now I'm stuck. Not really sure if it was the right operation: too much of the solution to level 2 in the result? Moreover, doing that I don't use the other part of the tuples at all, can that be right?

And I can't for the life of me see the connection to a unix CLI command. Can this riddle be solved without much unix knowledge? A Python challenge should be open to Windows users, shouldn't it?
<<

rspyc

Post Fri May 13, 2005 3:13 am

bb1898 wrote:Did that - but now I'm stuck. Not really sure if it was the right operation: too much of the solution to level 2 in the result? Moreover, doing that I don't use the other part of the tuples at all, can that be right?

You need the other part of the tuples too. Calling the operation arithmetic is somewhat misleading though.

You should apply the operation on each tuple individually, not between the tuples.

And I can't for the life of me see the connection to a unix CLI command. Can this riddle be solved without much unix knowledge? A Python challenge should be open to Windows users, shouldn't it?

It can certainly be solved without unix knowledge; it's just that unix knowledge can give you an extra hint.

Maybe I'll give that piece of information away for people not familiar with unix: the name of the file you're working on (without the extension) is also the name of a unix command. That command creates a certain kind of output, which looks very much like what you need to produce to solve this level. I'd give an example, but I'm afraid it would be too much of a spoiler.
<<

rspyc

Post Fri May 13, 2005 3:16 am

There are a number of unix commands at http://www.sikh-history.com/computers/u ... mands.html . The entry for the one you're looking for has an example of its output.
<<

bb1898

Post Fri May 13, 2005 4:51 am

rspyc wrote:
It can certainly be solved without unix knowledge; it's just that unix knowledge can give you an extra hint.

I don't know - for me it was more than an extra hint, I never thought of this sort of solution. (I'm not there yet, but I think I've understood the principle.)

Thank you!
<<

bb1898

Post Sat May 14, 2005 2:33 am

Re: YES!

rspyc wrote:

Unix and nothing else, it seems. At least my linux distribution (SuSE 9.3) doesn't contain the helpful command. At all events, got it now. Thanks again!
<<

jonas

Post Sun May 15, 2005 10:05 am

Thanks for the hints. I've now got the data structure. (I still don't know what to do with it but I hope I'll be able to figure it out.)

Anyway, I think this level gives an unfair advantage to native English speakers, as they know how to "pronounce it".
<<

jonas

Post Sun May 15, 2005 10:14 am

Ok, I've got it. The name of the file helps much.
<<

Durandal

Post Mon May 16, 2005 6:22 pm

Hah, finally remembered what banner does. ^_^v

Thankfully, OS X comes with Python attached. I'd been doing this in Perl, but I had to [possible spoiler removed] in Python, for obvious reasons.
<<

michael_g_hu

Post Tue May 17, 2005 10:52 pm

somebody helps me! what have you seen from the date strcture
I'v stared at for an hour ,I can see any pattern
<<

naib

Post Thu May 19, 2005 4:44 am

do you have a program called banner?

if not get it.
If so type

banner hello

to see what happens, then look at the data...
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints