thesamet

Python Challenge Leader

Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:50 pm

Level 4

What is that "nothing" ?
<<

jlarion

Post Tue May 03, 2005 1:15 pm

Good challenge, and really enjoying it so far.

I am absolutely stuck here, which is frustrating. My hands have already become tired, and this doesn't seem to be a 'normal' algorithm, so I think I must be looking in the exact wrong place.

I've tried the suggested import and all methods therein, and am still stuck.

Can anyone provide a nudge in the correct direction?

Much thanks for the help, and much thanks for the challenge. I've already learned more about python than I thought I would today. :-)
<<

Markm

Post Tue May 03, 2005 1:20 pm

I am completely stuck on this one too. I used urllib - but using urllib I don't get the same responses as I get from manually editing the URL. (for example I am not asked if my fingers are tired).

But the URLS go round and round, continuously repeating. - I can't figure it out
<<

thesamet

Python Challenge Leader

Post Tue May 03, 2005 1:25 pm

jlarion wrote:Good challenge, and really enjoying it so far.

I am absolutely stuck here, which is frustrating. My hands have already become tired, and this doesn't seem to be a 'normal' algorithm, so I think I must be looking in the exact wrong place.

if your hands are getting tired, maybe get someone else to do it for you... :idea:
<<

jlarion

Post Tue May 03, 2005 1:46 pm

if your hands are getting tired, maybe get someone else to do it for you...

I never truly understood the "dawning of enlightenment" moment of Zen until I read that.

I swear I'll have this palm-sized red mark on my forehead for days.

Thanks. :-)
<<

nirs

Post Tue May 03, 2005 7:47 pm

HINT: you must read the hints

HINT: continue from last nothing (or you will wait lot of time)
<<

Jeff

Post Fri May 06, 2005 11:22 am

I must be missing something. I got to the page that says 'Yes. <something something> and continue.' I do that, but the sequence never seems to end. I've tried just going to the .html of the result you get when you follow the new instructions, but it doesn't exist.

What am I missing?
<<

Jeff

Post Fri May 06, 2005 12:52 pm

Obviously most people are past this, but what is the trick here? How do you get out of the series? I read the hint and it says not to try them all, but when you get to 'Yes <something something>', it doesn't give a clear option other than continuing the same progression.

Do I need to follow the <something something> on each following step or is there a different angle to tackle this by?
<<

mjpieters

Site Admin

Post Fri May 06, 2005 1:29 pm

I do hope you are automating the following of the linked list, but do beware of changing conditions or wrong assumptions. Maybe it is time to alter your code to include some debugging information while you run your algorithm?

Also, did you heed the hints in the source of the first page?
<<

Jeff

Post Fri May 06, 2005 1:35 pm

Yes, I have an automated script, and I have it printing out the page it receives and the new url it tries (I noticed the one that tried to trick people just searching for a number in the returned page. cute)

I'm not sure what you mean by changing conditions or wrong assumptions. Other than the message I posted, the same thing is returned each time.

I'm using the package hinted in the page source, I and see that it said to not try all nothings, but nothing seems special about one over another that would lead to the next level.
<<

mjpieters

Site Admin

Post Fri May 06, 2005 1:44 pm

Oops, sorry, I forgot about that little twist in the chain, where it tells you to do something and then continue. Just do that once and continue the process from there on out again. You are nearly there!
<<

Jeff

Post Fri May 06, 2005 1:47 pm

Doh! I went back and looked at my script again, since I had been running it for about 20 min after the change in output with no luck. I had transposed 2 numbers in the new 'seed' value.

Thanks.
<<

K48

Post Fri May 06, 2005 6:15 pm

Hmmm... I\'ve tried already ~350 times but still it says only "and the next nothing is xxxxx", only after the second try it said something about my hands getting tired, and that's all. Any more hints?..
<<

louiszheng

Post Fri May 06, 2005 10:09 pm

write scripts ,run it for about 30 min

hint:you will meet "Divide by two and keep going"

good luck!
<<

K48

Post Fri May 06, 2005 10:21 pm

Of course i did write a script but how many tries should i make before reaching this message? the case is that i have a dial-up connection so it may be not 30 minutes but 3 hours =)
Next

Return to Python Challenge Hints