Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

mjpieters

Site Admin

Post Sat May 07, 2005 1:14 pm

Re: Level 5 - Help!

abstractwhiz wrote:Any ideas on what I'm supposed to do with this?

Stare at it for a while? See what you can come up with, show a bit of creativity. I am going to need some people with creativity at level 18, because I have this huge dataset there that is far denser to digest than the contents of banner.p.. ;)
<<

abli

Post Sat May 07, 2005 1:30 pm

abstractwhiz wrote: I've managed to figure out the clue(the famous six letter word!) but the code output leaves me none the wiser.

I'm stuck on this level as well. Were did you get the _input_ ?
I couldn't find anything that looks remotely like p***** data.
<<

abstractwhiz

Post Sat May 07, 2005 1:32 pm

mjpieters wrote:
abstractwhiz wrote:Any ideas on what I'm supposed to do with this?

Stare at it for a while? See what you can come up with, show a bit of creativity. I am going to need some people with creativity at level 18, because I have this huge dataset there that is far denser to digest than the contents of banner.p.. ;)

The contents of banner.p aren't the problem - it's the stuff I get after doing you know what(wow, I finally got to say that) to it. Kinda reminds me of intermediate code from a two pass assembler(ignore that - been studying too much systems programming). Still, point taken. I'd better go and get some sleep - 2 in the morning isn't exactly the time to be messing around with this.

PS: If I ever get to level 18, remind me to post about it!
<<

abstractwhiz

Post Sat May 07, 2005 1:37 pm

abli wrote:
abstractwhiz wrote: I've managed to figure out the clue(the famous six letter word!) but the code output leaves me none the wiser.

I'm stuck on this level as well. Were did you get the _input_ ?
I couldn't find anything that looks remotely like p***** data.

Hmmm....maybe I've pulled the input from the wrong place, but I doubt it. Just look at the page source. The place you haven't gone is where you should find the input. The name is a dead giveaway.
<<

othererik

Post Sun May 08, 2005 12:14 pm

I must be dense

Staring at what is left over after I un-****** the file didn't yield me much, so I tried flattening it leaving me with an intersting list. I have been looking at this file since last night and I really don't know what to make of it.. Any simple hints for something I may be missing? I assume a pattern in the numbers?

What I love most about these is how simple they are, after the problem is solved.. but yes, I'm staring uphill at the moment.

Thanks.
<<

Kemayo

Post Sun May 08, 2005 12:32 pm

The name "banner.p" is a clue as well.

Although it's not one that may make much sense unless you have much experience with the Unix CLI.
<<

kbond

Post Sun May 08, 2005 12:36 pm

After un******?

I am looking at the lists trying mutiiple algorythm to sort, add the number but none of them is giving me the key to level 6.
Any hint will be more than welcome I am hurting my head on this level since last night.
And the worst thing is I do not have anything that pop up in my mind when looking at the raw data.
<<

thesamet

Python Challenge Leader

Post Sun May 08, 2005 12:48 pm

Re: After un******?

kbond wrote:I am looking at the lists trying mutiiple algorythm to sort, add the number but none of them is giving me the key to level 6.
Any hint will be more than welcome I am hurting my head on this level since last night.
And the worst thing is I do not have anything that pop up in my mind when looking at the raw data.

Look at the filename of the data, imagine what the output might look like.
<<

jamesmcguigan

Post Sun May 08, 2005 3:06 pm

K48 wrote:I guess I need to use python here? Until now, I solved all the tasks using PHP :)))

You should be able to do this in PHP or any other language, I did it in python, because I thought it would be a good way to learn the language (python should be fairly easy to pick up if you already know PHP. Python seems closer to PHP than to perl)

I don't know if there is a special python module for doing this, but once I figured out the meaning of the codes in the data (hint: look towards the end of the data file and see if you can see a recurring pattern - each recurrance is a set of instructions).

I just ran a while loop to scan the data letter by letter, picked out the codes related to output. I did it in 25 lines of python code.
<<

thesamet

Python Challenge Leader

Post Sun May 08, 2005 10:57 pm

jamesmcguigan wrote:I just ran a while loop to scan the data letter by letter, picked out the codes related to output. I did it in 25 lines of python code.

The whole question can be solved by using 3 to 5 lines of python, if you understood all hints.
<<

glmrenard

Post Mon May 09, 2005 5:21 am

level 5

I know the module to use but I absolutely don't konw what to do now ...
Please help
<<

mjpieters

Site Admin

Post Mon May 09, 2005 6:49 am

Re: level 5

glmrenard wrote:Please help

I think this topic now contains plenty of hints, so my advise is to read all messages in this topic if you are stuck.
<<

glmrenard

Post Mon May 09, 2005 7:10 am

You're right, I have finally found the solution, it's really funny todo this challenge :)
<<

Tom

Post Mon May 09, 2005 4:49 pm

Dang, guys, this is fun. Love the epiphany moment on this one. :)
<<

abstractwhiz

Post Tue May 10, 2005 2:39 am

still stuck...

Been stuck on this one for too long...I have a feeling I'm looking at this list from the wrong angle. The hints aren't much help at the moment. Judging from the posts by people who've managed to solve it, I'll probably kick myself for not seeing the answer when I do get it. Still, what are you supposed to do with a bunch of hashes, spaces and numbers? I've flattened it out, split it into pieces, tried transforming numbers into characters - no use. Clearly I'm coming at this from the wrong direction...
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints