Level 5

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

fortunev

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:14 am

Re: Level 5

First figure out what peak hell really is (pronounce it)
Figure out what to un peak hell
Figure out how to correctly display what has been un peak helled

Hope the censored police don't get me!
<<

rt112000

Post Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:15 am

I had an issue, and it took me a while to realize the problem. I think its worth sharing my experience with other similiar (windows) users who are using IDLE.

I got the "final" result successfully printed on IDLE shell, but I could not tell what it was. The problem is the font of IDLE, after I changed IDLE to a MONOSPACED font (like courier), I clearly see the real result....
<<

birdchan

Post Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:26 pm

once you got the list, then think about the old DOS games...
<<

vrussell

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:28 pm

Without the hint of "banner hello", I will be stuck here forever 8) Thx!!
<<

roronoa

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:28 am

Agreed. banner <text> & that 'special' python module are the keys!
<<

Misiek9

Post Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:59 am

Hey, I got the data from b*****.p, so I did print them, I know why the hint is banner <text>, and I figured what should I do, the only problem I don't have any idea how to do this, I mean I got those sequences of (' ', number) or ('#', number) but I have no idea how am I able to do that what I'm suppose to do. I just can't figure out the key...
<<

blast_hardcheese

Post Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:06 pm

Misiek9 wrote:Hey, I got the data from b*****.p, so I did print them, I know why the hint is banner <text>, and I figured what should I do, the only problem I don't have any idea how to do this, I mean I got those sequences of (' ', number) or ('#', number) but I have no idea how am I able to do that what I'm suppose to do. I just can't figure out the key...

There are some pretty big hints in this thread already; Have you figured out what to do with b*****.p? If not, read the hints on the first page of this thread :)
<<

raskolnikov

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi, I hate to beat a dead horse here, but I'm stumped on this as well. I had no problems with "peak hell". The resulting data confused me for a while, but I understand the expected output now. My issue (and I know this has been said before), is how to properly create the lines wanted for output. I'm still pretty new at programming, so even though I get it conceptually, I don't get the looping/printing aspect. I think it's the two loops (lists and tuples) that are throwing me? Can anyone help here? Been working for a couple of days. More than happy to share my code. If someone would PM me the solution url too, I could go back and look. But now I'm just stuck trying the same things over and over, and while I get a hashes and spaces, it doesn't look like anything. I must be doing something wrong. :oops:
<<

raskolnikov

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:17 pm

Got it. I had it - except I wasn't inserting a newline character at the right place. Make sure it's where you want it in your loop!
<<

stembro

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:17 am

This was a fun exercise. Initially the data that you load doesn't really make any sense. And then as you're staring at it you eventually get that "aha!" feeling. Then that garbled mess of data makes total sense and you're three/four lines of python away from a solution. Good stuff!
<<

hjyoite

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:43 pm

Got it! Thx for the tips.
<<

hjyoite

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: After un******?

:D thx!!!
thesamet wrote:
kbond wrote:I am looking at the lists trying mutiiple algorythm to sort, add the number but none of them is giving me the key to level 6.
Any hint will be more than welcome I am hurting my head on this level since last night.
And the worst thing is I do not have anything that pop up in my mind when looking at the raw data.

Look at the filename of the data, imagine what the output might look like.
<<

hardykevin

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:12 am

Some of the hints may be confusing.But finally I get it.My hint is read the very file and print the picture!
<<

albertzhy

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:55 am

I got more confused after reading so many hints...
The riddle is not a problem at all.
But what should I do after I know which module to use?
from the source page, I got "b*****.p", but where can I get it ?
I have serveral idea about that:
(1) creat it by myself like doing this under Linux terminal: b***** 'somedata' > b******.p?
(2)use p****** module method dump('somedata','b*****.p')
(3)edit 'somedata' in notepad and modify the name.
after doing this , I also lost...becasue "somedata" is totally guessed without any clue...

Who can save me...
I think solving a problem in many ways is good goal, but until now didn't I know what is the problem exactly...
<<

albertzhy

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:12 am

kill me!
when I spend so many time on thinking input what data to create a file named b******.p
suddenly find that it can be simplely download...
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints