Level 31

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

fletcher

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:44 am

Out of this world

Am I reading too much into the hints, or is there something other-worldly about stage 3? The wow factor didn't work for me. Do I need to join the Torchwood Institute to crack this one?

...Got it. Thank you for a most entertaining puzzle. Hemlock's hint was a great help, but I'm not sure that statisticians would recognize that number, more a matter of serendipity, I would have thought.
<<

tomk

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:06 pm

I'm stuck on the second stage, I've got an algorithm that gives me a generic m_______t image, I'm assuming that I need to find a value for c based on the clues in the page but everything I try gives me a blank image.

Could someone give me a prod in the right direction? either here or on IRC.
<<

Rebecca

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:04 pm

I really love the idea of this level. All those ways to hide data in unexpected places are amazing!

I had 88160 as someone before me, in my case that seems to be related to an off-by-one problem I spotted and fixed but that I don't understand yet. (I guess I need some sleep. :wink:)

Next problem I ran into was that the order of the loops used in the algorithm matters for seeing the d's.
<<

Giraffe

Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:48 pm

Re: Level 31

Hello,
i think i got to level 31 last year or so. And i have still no idea how to solve stage 2 of this puzzle.
I still get too many differences and have no idea why.

What i see from looking at the first thousand differences: Lots of them are off by one, followed by lots of off by two, and so on.
My impression is that my copy of the dataset is as a whole a little bit off, if that makes sense.

Could somebody help me to get a copy of the dataset that is not "a little bit off" ?

br Martin
<<

SirVer

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:42 am

It is of othermost importance to use double precision for all calculations; not float nor long double.
<<

Giraffe

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:32 am

Hello,
thanks for that hint, but my algorithm should be fine in that way. It uses the python data type complex.
The python manual says that this should be a C-style double for the real and imaginary part.

Maybe it help if i write the algorithm myself and not use something i snatched from the web. :wink:
<<

Giraffe

Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:01 am

Hi!
I give up on finding an algorithm that gives me the right amount of diffs.
Can someone please be so nice and spoil me with an algorithm that gives the correct number of diffs?

Many thanks in advance!
Previous

Return to Python Challenge Hints