Level 3

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

sudo

Post Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:00 am

Re: Level 3

This was a tricky one, but got it in the end. The hints given the past couple of posts helped me see past my mistake :)
<<

abewell

Post Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:16 am

I see alot of people want to use the re module, while it is very slick, I solved this one without it. A simple for loop to iterate through and check for the patter will do it. The main key is the "exactly" hint. this will not work: XXXxXXX, this will: xXXXxXXXx

Thanks
Abewell
<<

theoryweary

Post Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:49 pm

I feel like I understand the challenge, but I only find 5 Capital letters (TOLYD) after stepping through the pages 400 times. Everyone else seems to have issues with searching, but I'm not even getting anything to really search through.

I'm just searching through the "and the next nothing is" from the 400 pages, is there some other text I should record while doing that?
<<

theoryweary

Post Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:17 am

I've been thinking more about this and I think it may have something to do with when I'm prompted to "divide by two and keep going". I dealt with this by using regular expressions to find "nothing is" and dividing by two if those words weren't found. Unfortunately I can't really see specifically how that would screw something up without giving me an error..

Any advice would be appreciated, I'm a bit lost at this point.

Thanks,
Brendon
<<

Rebecca

Post Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:01 am

Err... this is the thread for Level 3, and you seem to be asking about Level 4...
<<

chromaeleon

Post Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:22 pm

Re: Hint

K48 wrote:Hint: you will have TEN sequences of characters which match the condition. Take one small letter from each of the matches, and... ;)

Got all confuzed with the previous answers, but this helped me out. I already had the ten solutions and had tried them all as .html in the URL but got nothing, thanks :)
<<

birdchan

Post Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:48 pm

If you are too lazy to write scripts, try this online tool:

http://www.pythonregex.com/
<<

geo

Post Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:19 am

Does it has 10 letters? i think i've got it,but when i paste it to the url,the page changed to be a empty page
<<

melite

Post Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:23 am

Re:

fatway wrote:
ul0402206 wrote:I got 10 characters which look perfect. However, when I tried to http://www.pythonchallenge.com/pc/def/(word I got).html, just went to (myword.php) :x
Give the fist 6 characters: linked****
right or not?

I got the same with you...

and also return 'xxxxx.php'

I have the same problem! Can anybody tell in which format we need to put the phrase in the url??
<<

melite

Post Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:31 am

Problem fixed! This blank page isn't there by mistake :wink:
<<

roelof

Post Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:40 pm

Hello

I have made this:
  Code:
challenge = open('challenge2.txt')
regel = challenge.read()
uitkomst = re.search(/[A-Z]{3}/[a-z]/[A-Z]{3})
print uitkomst

I never worked with regex. I only worked with the book "Thinking like a scientist"

But when I try this I see this error message :
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Can someone give me a hint where I can find a good tutorial how to search for this ?

Regards,

Roelof
<<

renegade

Post Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:41 am

This was a good one! Took me a while but I finally figured it out and learned a new thing or two about RE's!

A couple of hints that helped me:

1. Read up on regular expressions: http://www.regular-expressions.info/tutorial.html; this was helpful in getting the lay of the land. What I suddenly realized is you get EXACTLY what you ask for in RE's. Like so many others in this forum, I wound up with 477 results. When I read this tut, and did a few simple patterns by hand, that is when I figured out that I was not just matching patterns of the form 'XXXxXXX'.

2. The python docs on the re module: http://docs.python.org/library/re.html#

After reading the above, that is when things clicked. I should have done that first instead of plunging into coding; I would have saved myself a lot of heart ache solving this one.
<<

marcin

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:18 am

Ugh, the clue is misleading: "One small letter, surrounded by EXACTLY three big bodyguards on each of its sides" does NOT mean one small letter, three big letters, one small letter, three big letters, one small letter; it simply means three big letters, one small letter, three big letters.

If this is the quality of the clues we are working with, I will give up. It's no fun to play a game with underspecified puzzles.
<<

blast_hardcheese

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:43 am

marcin wrote:Ugh, the clue is misleading: "One small letter, surrounded by EXACTLY three big bodyguards on each of its sides" does NOT mean one small letter, three big letters, one small letter, three big letters, one small letter; it simply means three big letters, one small letter, three big letters.

It's VERY specific. "One small letter surrounded by at AT LEAST three bodyguards" != "One small letter surrounded by EXACTLY three bodyguards".

marcin wrote:If this is the quality of the clues we are working with, I will give up. It's no fun to play a game with underspecified puzzles.

I'll admit, there are a couple of those, but they're around level 20. Most of them are straight logic and programming challenges.
<<

hardykevin

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:30 pm

EXACTLY 3! Think carefully! And Thanks everyone! :o
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints