Level 6

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

mr.kschan

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:02 am

Re: hints

tuplesandtuples wrote:HINT -the module you need to solve this is pretty easy to spot, browse through your python library.
HINT -if your stumped a readme holds 2 hints BOTH are important.
HINT -if you cant even get the file... i dont know how youve gotten this far... look at the source

EXCELLENT HINT!!! "HINT -if you cant even get the file... i dont know how youve gotten this far... look at the source"

I was crazy laughing when I finally got the file -.-"
<<

jstableford

Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:41 am

dave.jj wrote:Hi,

Enjoy the challenges so far :D

Stuck at the C****** *** c******* part. Have read all the hints but still at a loss on how to proceed.

Could someone enlighten me?

Solved. It's hard :roll:

I have ********* the ********, however I can't make anything of them... I'm concerned that I've [verb] the wrong [noun]s? Hints please....
<<

noxx

Post Mon May 26, 2008 4:27 am

greetings. I'm having trouble with the last part (i think...). I've downloaded the file, used the module to use that same file to go from .txt to .txt and i found the one that says [verb] the [nouns]...

the thing is i just don't know what does [nouns] are and where to get them...

i've read the information about the module from the python website, and the IDLE's help on the same module and there is only one reference to the [nouns] and it just happens to return an empty string :(

could someone please help with this part?

PS: i don't know if this matters or not but i'm using IDLE with python 2.5
<<

kissandra79

Post Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:17 am

Thats the funny thing about these kind of files. Not only does the entire file have a [noun]..but each induvidual .txt has a [noun]. i think you've been looking at the [noun] of the entire file..which indeed returns an empty string. but its not the same with the [nouns] of the induvidual .txt files. maybe you should query them.. you might get something interesting.
<<

Galaga

Post Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:46 pm

Okay, I [verb]'d the [noun](Easy, there was a similar level in www.notpron.com) Anyways, I did the same thing as in the 4th level and got the C****** *** C*******, and I cant figure out how to find the C*******. Someone said something about a module, but I really can't find a relevant module.

Edit: I found the module, figured it out without the tricky part at the end. Nice level.
<<

backpain

Post Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:12 am

The [noun] and how to get the source was obvious given the image although I still keep going back and forth between the builtin module [noun] and the external [noun] variants. I followed the hint in the hint file in the [noun] source with my solution in challenge 4 which was obviously wrong because peak.html was going backwards.

Clue for finding the stuff you need - nouns don't have to be prefixes, they can also be extensions.

Using the external [noun] module seems obvious but I'm stuck, because the file clue from inside seems like the internal [noun] module is appropriate too. When I internal [noun] *source I get something that looks usable too...

Got here in two days... maybe I got too cocky. Can some one answer this: internal or external?

This is fun. What a great way to learn a language - emersion!
<<

michael_

Post Fri May 29, 2009 1:40 am

got it!

wow, that was the hardest one so far.

I was quite despaired when I finally got the message
'It's in the air. look at the letters'.

that was mean.

But thanks for this great challenge, I learnt quite a bit about Python so far, although I wouldn't consider myself as a newbie.
<<

wearetherock

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:00 pm

What should i do after [verb] the [noun]?

I got some thing like ...**YO***N * *** X* E*... that right?
I not sure that i'm in the right way, any hint please.
<<

ShashaCorleone

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:18 pm

Kinda confused with the hint..can someone provide clues :)
<<

LWolf

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:52 am

i got the sequence of C******** but i'm clueless on what to do next
could someone give me some useful hints please? :roll: :D
ok i got it
for who is stuck at the same point as me:
hint: why would the readme tell you to start at that specific file? it must want something from you
<<

hkornfeld

Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:53 am

backpain wrote:The [noun] and how to get the source was obvious given the image although I still keep going back and forth between the builtin module [noun] and the external [noun] variants. I followed the hint in the hint file in the [noun] source with my solution in challenge 4 which was obviously wrong because peak.html was going backwards.

Clue for finding the stuff you need - nouns don't have to be prefixes, they can also be extensions.

Using the external [noun] module seems obvious but I'm stuck, because the file clue from inside seems like the internal [noun] module is appropriate too. When I internal [noun] *source I get something that looks usable too...

Got here in two days... maybe I got too cocky. Can some one answer this: internal or external?

This is fun. What a great way to learn a language - emersion!

Finally, the clue that I needed to get the data! (the part about prefixes and extensions) Once I got the data, it was pretty easy to solve the problem.
<<

Miki800

Post Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:50 pm

jamesmcguigan wrote:
mjpieters wrote:I'm got a ***info object for each of the little things, but the comment field is blank in all the little things, I've tried all the other attributes in the class, but none of them seem to return anything useful (the offsets are unique for each file, but they don't lead me anywhere)

Am I going in the right direction, or have I got the wrong library

Problem solved, it was a corrupted file, probably due to using extenral tools to extract information from it. I re-downloaded the file and found the solution without any further problems.

well I'm pretty sure my downloaded file ain't corrupt, and I extracted the information and [verb]-ed it.

pretty similar to one of the previous challenges,
only this time I see only jibberish.

my problem is that I do not know how much information to extract each time.
or maybe I need to do something to the information other then printing it and see for my self?

maybe the url is hidden again in it?

are there more modules to be used then the first and most obvious one?

what am I missing, the that I used python to extract and the [verb] it together doesn't tell me anything when it's [verb]-ed...
<<

PixelHead777

Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:28 am

OK, is there a module similar to URLLIB that will work with the files I wish it to?
Or will someone please PM me the name of the actual module? It won't be obvious, and don't even try to say otherwise, if I search documentation. It just won't be.
Edit: ... OK, Python Challenge. That's a cheap move. Make me use module imported after module imported then give me something that only requires a builtin function to open? Graah!!!
And of course now I have to find com-... commas, yes, commas... not the stuff you leave on youtube videos... >.<
Correction:
Oh hell you would.
Yes you use the module you're thinking of.
No it doesn't want to work thanks to datatype errors for NO GOOD REASON!!!
Yes it's being evil.
Yes I cheated.
No I did not try to cheat.
I was trying to find information on gathering the 'commas'... but no, I found a website that shows the solutions...
<<

sudo

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:50 am

Re: Level 6

Sweet puzzle! My hints for you:
1) process data with built-in calls; no external tools required.
2) start with the entry suggested; remember the 'extra meta-info' for each entry
<<

croquet

Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Level 6

Dear python users and brave people who dare to test their intelligence with this splendid challenges:

I need to ask a technical question about Python and the method needed to solve this riddle, because this situation is nonsense.
When I try to get the [noun] using the correspondent method, I simply get nothing, pure blank, emptyness... but the weirdest things are:

I have created a dummy file with a [noun] of my own and I can read it using the same method as I use for this riddle.
    At work (under Windows 7 with PyScripter as IDLE) I can see the [nouns] both of the riddle and from my dummy file, whereas at home (either XP with PyScripter or LinuxMint with Eclipse as IDLE) I cannot read any at all. :shock:

Does anybody know why can this be happening? Code is the same in any single configuration.
Could it be a Python version related issue?
I ehm, "downloaded the source" several times to check it wasn't corrupted but still no luck and without [noun] no way of moving forward.

Thanks a trillion in advance
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints