Level 1

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

madameclaws

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:42 pm

I figured it out by hand...

What can I say? I'm a cryptogram dork over here.
I have never programmed in my life, so I was wondering if someone could give me a starting point to writing a program to decrypt this? I have not a clue where to begin.
<<

ccube921

Post Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:45 pm

Do you have maybe a web tutorial that would have the method taught, bec. I don't know it. i can decrypt it letter by letter but how about the whole thing?
<<

zwickle

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:42 pm

this was a terrible, terrible problem. the decoded text is worthless because it misuses terminology.

a URL is the entire string in the URL bar. a protocol, a domain, a path and a filename.

applying the logic to the url obviously gives garbage because there is no jvvr protocol.

dropping the protocol and reapplying doesnt help because you dont own the domain "yyy.ravjqpejcnngpig.eqo" (and there's not eqo TLD).

dropping the domain doesnt help because... well, because you didnt leave a hint at the url that generates.

when you finally apply the function on just the filename, you get the first semblance of a hint that you've been on the right track all along, but the creator doesnt know what a url is

the encoded text should be replaced with:

g fmnc wms bgblr rpylqjyrc gr zw fylb. rfyrq ufyr amknsrcpq ypc dmp. bmgle gr gl zw fylb gq glcddgagclr ylb rfyr'q ufw rfgq rcvr gq qm jmle. sqgle qrpgle.kyicrpylq() gq pcamkkclbcb. lmu ynnjw ml rfc dgjclykc gl rfc spj.
<<

Darkshine

Post Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:07 am

my problem

My problem isn't as much solving this puzzle, I did that in my head in about two minutes. My problem is I don't know how to do this in Python. Does anyone know where to look for this in particular? I'm having trouble finding it, even with the magic of google.
<<

madhatter84gn

Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:13 am

Unicode help

I am taking up learning programming on my own time and found this site while learning Python. I am an absolute beginner and found the first challenge really easy. I am working on the level 1 currently and have written code to solve the problem and am able to read most of the result. The problem I am running into is I think I have a Unicode or similar issue. All of my a = { and a few of the other characters are off so I can't make it all out. Is there a way to force the coding conversion and if so how do I determine what the original writer was using?

Thanks,
<<

binary-snake

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:52 pm

I solved this puzzle in a short time, but when printing the result I get some {} " symbols, is that part of the solution or i'am going the wrong way.
<<

binary-snake

Post Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:10 am

Finally I have the text successfully translated, but when I apply the solution to the url i get a phrase that doesn't point me to the next puzzle.
<<

highrider

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:37 am

I can't even figure out how to decipher the text. I know how to use chr() and ord() but I don't understand what k-->m means. Do I have to add or subtract anything, or replace something or what? I am a beginner programmer and am starting to think this site is way out of my league. If someone could just give me the formula for deciphering the text that would be great. Thanks.
<<

highrider

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:58 am

Scratch that last post, I finally figured it out. The challenge wasn't writing the program it was figuring out what the program was suppose to do. Now that I finally figured it out here are my hints:

Hint #1: The solution is very simple, don't make it overcomplicated.

Hint #2: You don't apply the cipher to the entire URL.

Hint #3: I used chr(), ord(), (and a + sign) to decipher the text. It didn't dicipher it perfectly, it had {'s in it but was still readable.
<<

dhunter

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:47 pm

simple

jaja, i got it, i already made a text cripting program that does this, i just did copy and paste in and i have the answer.
<<

vascosilva

Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:43 am

Which function do i have to use in python to get each char from a string? I can't use split can i?

I got it. Just used a for loop to go through the string.

Python is looking good.

Now off to challenge nr2
<<

justtolearn

Post Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:10 pm

No clue
<<

hydonlee

Post Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:52 pm

Haha...I got it.

Just "lmu ynnjw ml rfc spj."
<<

RainCT

Post Mon May 18, 2009 3:34 pm

To those people getting "{" signs: only the letters a-z are encoded; think about it.

If this isn't enough, another tip, look at the output of this command:

python -c "for x in xrange(0,256): print x, chr(x)"
<<

karlzt

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:20 pm

there are spoilers in this forum
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints