FAQ  •  Login

Level 7

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

techrolla

Posts: 1

Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 9:41 pm

Post Sun May 14, 2006 9:42 pm

Re: gray bar

manuelg wrote:figured it out
hint2: (i * 7, 43)


Does anyone agree that this hint should be taken out? I didn't know where to start and then I saw this and I figured it out without any python (or any coding) whatsoever. I would have liked to have had to dwell on this for a while. This hint made this level by far the easiest...
Last edited by techrolla on Thu May 18, 2006 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

gorilla

Posts: 6

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:32 am

Location: Hungary

Post Tue May 16, 2006 10:17 am

I think that formula is not that hard to work out yourself... You only have to open up paint and count the pixels...
<<

faenix

Posts: 7

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:48 pm

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:10 pm

Re: gray bar

techrolla wrote:
manuelg wrote:figured it out
hint2: (i * 7, 43)


Does anyone agree that this hint should be taken out? I didn't know where to start and then I saw this and I figured it out without any python (or any coding) whatsoever. I would have liked to have had to dwell on this for a while. This hint made this level by far the easiest...


If you got to this level on your own, that hint should be very obvious on first glance of the image anyway. Although I agree this level is easy, the biggest challenge is grabbing modules for Python - which is something I now learned :D
<<

AlexT

Posts: 2

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:11 am

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:18 am

gorilla wrote:I think that formula is not that hard to work out yourself... You only have to open up paint and count the pixels...


You only have to divide the height of the image by two to work out where the grey bar is. :P

I'm stuck on the second part of this. I've got the message from the grey bar and have a list of 9 values.. but I'm not sure what to do with them. :( I've tried applying them back to the grey bar, and I get "mma mamad", which I can't do much with).. any hints?

edit: solved it, my code was ignoring duplicate pixels (so with two blocks of the same grey, only the first was being counted)
<<

FellowMD

Posts: 1

Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:02 pm

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:25 pm

Re: Still can't understand

barbieri wrote:What to do with the decoded message from the gay bar... that list leads to nothing.
Absolutely amazing quote here... especially out of context.
<<

treefinger

Posts: 2

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:17 am

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:31 pm

Re: gray bar

faenix wrote:
techrolla wrote:
manuelg wrote:figured it out
hint2: (i * 7, 43)


Does anyone agree that this hint should be taken out? I didn't know where to start and then I saw this and I figured it out without any python (or any coding) whatsoever. I would have liked to have had to dwell on this for a while. This hint made this level by far the easiest...


If you got to this level on your own, that hint should be very obvious on first glance of the image anyway. Although I agree this level is easy, the biggest challenge is grabbing modules for Python - which is something I now learned :D


I have no idea what to do and I got the module installed easily.
<<

komio

Posts: 1

Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:08 am

Post Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:34 am

list of integers

I am trying to solve this riddle for three days already, and still dont have a any idea what to do with this. I read this topic and got nothing. Can anybody can help me with this? I wrote this using black font to avoid spoilers :-)
smart guy, you made it. the next level is [105, 10, 16, 101, 103, 14, 105, 16, 121]

Just highligth the message to see this. I tried to apply that to the letters in grey bar, to the pixels (without '\xff' bytes), to whole data (with '\xff'), to joinded pixels of grey bar, to binary data of the image file, to the chr() function, to the string.ascii_letters, i tried multiply this numbers by 7, adding 1, 2, -1, and still got nothing. I really do not know what to do with this. There are not any clue. Maybe i did this different way than i supposed, i used to decode the image PIL library, and do not know what effbot library has to do with that...
Please give me some clues... ;-)
<<

jonafischer

Posts: 1

Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:06 pm

Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:26 pm

Effbot...

in effbot.org you get the info about PIL... this is getting harder for unexperienced users of python like me, thanks for hints, they are very useful...
<<

countercraft

Posts: 1

Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:22 pm

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:48 pm

I'm stuck on the second part of this. I've got the message from the grey bar and have a list of 9 values.. but I'm not sure what to do with them. :( I've tried applying them back to the grey bar, and I get "mma mamad", which I can't do much with).. any hints?

edit: solved it, my code was ignoring duplicate pixels (so with two blocks of the same grey, only the first was being counted)


What are these "duplicated pixels"? I found a list of 9 numbers, and tried to apply it back to the image too, but I got the same message that you got "mma mamad".
You said that you solved it by not discarding duplicated pixels, but I don't know where they are.
Any hint?
:D

edit: Solved it! \o/ Finally I understood the duplicated pixels :D
<<

trick

Posts: 1

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:38 pm

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:42 pm

One thing that got me confused here was that not all the sections were the same length (even modulo 7), the first one is 5 pixels and the last one is 8.
<<

mcfinnigan

Posts: 1

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:54 am

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:55 am

damnit. could have saved myself 3 days if I'd not tried to do it by hand and used the module.

and also made the duplicate pixel bug. argh.

on to level 8...
<<

nalaly

Posts: 2

Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:26 am

Post Wed May 20, 2009 1:58 am

finally passed level7

the hint: [i*7, 43] is useful

and after that something used in level01 will be help.
<<

ewall

Posts: 2

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:55 pm

Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:35 pm

Total headsmacker! I was only reading 1/4 of the message because, well, I didn't think about it when I set the width to read.

Oh, and I chose the sub-optimal module (not the 'effbot' one), which probably would've helped me avoid the math error in the first place.
<<

goldenapple

Posts: 1

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:40 pm

Post Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:47 pm

Hey guys

I'm new in Python and started with Version 3.1.

Is it possible, that the needed module isn't available for 3.x yet?!

I would feel really sad if so... because that challange is such a fun!

thx
<<

thesamet

Python Challenge Leader

Posts: 69

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:02 pm

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:22 pm

goldenapple wrote:Hey guys

I'm new in Python and started with Version 3.1.

Is it possible, that the needed module isn't available for 3.x yet?!

I would feel really sad if so... because that challange is such a fun!

thx


Welcome! In this puzzle (and several others down the line) you need to access pixel data of the image. I recommend using PIL. Its latest version should be compatible with Python 3.
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 11 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.