Level 1

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

levicampbell

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:39 pm

wantutz wrote:chr and ord and you get something in between. :wink:

Ichr() and ord() are opposites, so how can there be anything between them?
<<

blackheart

Post Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:05 am

can some one tell me if the solution is actually a number or is there a symbol of some sort in the URL
<<

Gigs_

Post Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:12 pm

hints

Some more hints will be nice...
Because this 'hints' are not point to something
<<

Xecuter88

Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:37 am

WOOHOO!! I got it readable! :D
<<

illuzion

Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:42 pm

oki see the computer screen with 238 an i typed in 2 an i cant get it lol
<<

drengnikrafe

Post Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:42 pm

I'm starting to get annoyed at this thing. I was able to easily create the program to see exactly what it really says. however, it has been haunting me for several days, as to just what it means by that last part.

I just can't get it! No matter how i approach this, it doesn't make any sense. Will someone please help me out? I just wanna progress, cuz this is getting really old.
<<

Echo

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:04 pm

I can read the text, but I'm stuck. Does the "think twice" apply to the "lmu ynnjw ml rfc spj" part? Because no matter if I do it once or twice, on all of it or just on individual sections, all I get are 404's. Any suggestions?
<<

scoobysnack

Post Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:27 am

It means you have to apply the same procedure on the last little bit of the 'spj'.
<<

scripteaze.py

Post Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:19 am

The concept behind this site is nice, however, i believe it is more geard towards an expierenced coder. I dont believe begining python coders can resolve such issues.You can code whatever you want to, but first you need to know whats avail to you. without knowing this, i dont see how a beginer can solve this type of question.

"that's a handy little function. isn't it? "
<<

viniciusban

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:19 pm

Hi all.

I could solve this problem.

The worst part is not translating the text. It's is to discover what to type in the URL to achieve next level.

Let's think: we applied one logic to translate the text, ok? The key to translate the text IS NOT the function name author suggests when you type it at the URL. This is just a suggestion.

The key is to apply THE SAME logic ON THE URL.

Question: What is our URL, in this case?
Answer: The last part of it (everything after the last slash and before the file name extension).

Try it and you'll see an acronym to a software technology.

I didn't like it, too. But it's the game rule. :(

I almost gave up!
<<

makobu

Post Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:16 am

Look at the last sentence ... and think about it ;)
<<

Acapulco

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:55 pm

viniciusban wrote:I almost gave up!

Agreed. I believe the URL to be decoded should be further pointed out. Like making it the last word of the whole text or something. I solved the coding part (which is what the challenge is teaching, right?) fairly easy. Knowing what to decode was much much much harder.

I bet this alone can drive a lot of Python newbies away.
<<

iamemmm

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:52 am

scripteaze.py wrote:The concept behind this site is nice, however, i believe it is more geard towards an expierenced coder. I dont believe begining python coders can resolve such issues.You can code whatever you want to, but first you need to know whats avail to you. without knowing this, i dont see how a beginer can solve this type of question.

"that's a handy little function. isn't it? "

Hello, I don't necessarily agree. I'm a newbie in Python, but I was able to solve it (though my Computer Science course helped me a lot). Hehe. (^_^)v Goodluck to everyone. (^_^)/
<<

iamemmm

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:13 am

viniciusban wrote:The key is to apply THE SAME logic ON THE URL.

Thanks! Good clue. (^_^)
<<

bubs

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:51 pm

lost

So uh. I'm pretty lost here. I'm totally new to python and programming and have no idea how to solve this puzzle. I was wondering if someone could give me a hint on how to at least read the puzzle? I read someone mentioned chr() and ord() and maybe that worked for them? I don't know what to do with chr() and ord() or the letters in the notebook.

So I'm not looking for an outright answer but some more revealing clues.

I've been staring at the puzzle for maybe an hour now. trying to find out how to solve it. I've tried replacing the letters like e instead of g. I've tried replacing f for both e and g. I tried getting the ord() of e and g then subtracting that number then see if I get a new letter from chr() but I just get x02. and I've done these with all three sets not just e -> g.
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints