Level 5

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

AljoshaNL

Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:54 am

Got it :)

HINT: Think about newlines and where they are to be placed.
<<

JohnJSal

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:30 pm

Still don't know what to do

Ok, I read this whole thread, but I just don't know what to do with the source from banner.p. I'm just not expert enough to 'see' the answer, so I'd appreciate a few less-than-subtle hints. :)

I enjoy figuring out *how* to solve the programming puzzle much more than figuring *what* to do in the first place...
<<

worf

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:13 pm

data corruption

I'm a sloppy python wrangler, and I spent a lot time biting my tail on this level. I had used 'elinks -dump' to grab the data, and since this reformatted it, python would fail no matter how I tried to process it. Using 'wget', allowed me to pull the data so that I could finally get python to complete the example (though urllib would have probably been a more apropos choice). At any rate, maybe someone, just as sloppy, is stuck on this level and could use this hint: don't mangle the data before you load it.
<<

john doe

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:51 pm

Wow, with out all th hints in this one I would have dead a long time ago.

The hardest part was trying to figure out what to do with the data once u got it. It wasn't till I looked at the definition of a type and saw the word "immutable". Thats when the clue "arithmatic" kicked in and I was able to code the solution in python.

Anyway, great site this is. Seems like I am a year late but none the less I have learned more here in a day then I have read in weeks.
<<

tuplesandtuples

Post Mon May 21, 2007 1:52 am

go back to the pic

if your still stumped, you don't have the file, your on the yes! page, your staring at the source file which isn't telling you anything, and you have no idea where to go.

try going back to the page with the picture...
<<

Fish

Post Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:18 pm

Quick tip: if you're using Windows Command Prompt, when you get your final answer, write it to a file instead of printing it to the terminal. It prints wrong otherwise.

Very good challenge, had me confused for a while ;)
<<

emes

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:17 pm

I had been stuck for long a little step before the final solution. Even the equal sums of each list numbers didn't enlight me enough ;)

WARNING! very strong hint follows:
read about RLE compression algorithm
<<

faenix

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:54 pm

Very well thought challenge, I was pretty amazed at the creativity of it!

Thank goodness I've seen ascii starwars.
<<

schlangen...

Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:18 pm

hi! :evil:
good challenge with good riddles, but:
I had a really stupid problem, so here my hint:
If you have a unlegible result -> Use a Monospace-font!
<<

Law

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:33 am

Ha!

Ok, it certainly took me too many hints to get the second part of this, but man, when I did, I laughed so hard! That was brilliant. Thanks so much. Seeing the answer pop out of these challenges is just so rewarding.
<<

maximus

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:50 am

help

can any one give a hint?? properly which steps to follow.... got the banner but unable to recognize
<<

cml21

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:30 am

Re: Maximus

Maximus, I'm sure this goes against the "spirit" of the challenge. But, if you did everything correctly, and you're still having trouble => I might suggest opening up a spreadsheet, and using the rows and columns to manually create the solution. You can then grow and shrink the cells (vertically and horizontally) and text until the solution pops out. ...at least that's how I did it. Then, of course, I could see it everywhere. It was like staring at one of those hidden image pics from the late '90s. :) Good Luck!
<<

Monder

Post Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:19 am

I have to say ,this riddle is really creative!
I am stuck for such a long time.
I got the data and knew there exists a pattern, and I also knew something was related to the file name.But I was still confused!

Until I saw someone mentioned "Unix CLI", I suddenly got the answer!
Yes ,that really helped!
<<

frijole

Post Wed May 07, 2008 11:40 am

did you just type out the answer by hand?

I know how to get the answer but it seems like there must be a way to code something to print it out for me. I have no idea how to do it though. Is there a function that accept that type of data and prints the b*****?
<<

treefinger

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:18 am

i got the answer to this one but i had to copy the output from command prompt to notepad and edit it a little to make it readable. Is that caused by a mistake on my part? I guess I'll try in the linux console and see if I get the same result.
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints