FAQ  •  Login

Level 4

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

Freakbuffet18

Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:19 pm

Hey, does anyone know if there a way to do this one with visual basic, thats the only language i know in any substantial amount so far... i'm not sure how to get the number from the page to the url yet...
<<

zvkeab

Post Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:38 pm

Does python not support HTTP keep-alive? Each URL opening creates and tears down a whole new TCP session, which is horribly slow. Not to mention it's probably hard on the server...
<<

JohnJSal

Post Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:45 pm

I'm still stumped on this one. I have tried accessing each URL in succession, editing the URL each time so it goes to the next number, but as this seems unending, what else is there to know that would eventually end this cycle?
<<

msgyrd

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:15 pm

Python does support keep-alive.

http://linux.duke.edu/projects/urlgrabber/help/urlgrabber.keepalive.html

I didn't use it because I'm lazy (it saved a couple lines), but if I were putting this into production, keep alive would be beneficial.
<<

darlene

Post Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:35 pm

jaagut wrote:hit the "Divide by two and keep going."
keep going and hit another page "????.html"
keep going and back again to "Divide by two and keep going."

it seems the links are in a circular queue...

tried to count the pages but still i can't get to the end. what's wrong with my script?

hi there everyone,

I've just started playing this litlle game, which by the way is really entertaining :). However, I got stuck in the same place as jaagut did but i can't figure it out how to escape the that circular queue. I reach the page with "Yes.Divide by two and keep going.", I'm doing so, then I reach that page saying "xxxx.html" and them I'm getting back to the "Divide by two..." page.

Can anyone give me another hint how to get out of this pls?
<<

kyo

Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:03 am

I run my script and a have the result.... but a don`t know what is the variable instead of nothing.... some hints
<<

JSB

Post Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:03 pm

Hello,
i'm quiet new to this so please don't kill me.
I wrote a script to solve this but it don't do it's work.
What's wrong with this?
I believe there is a much better solution^^ and sorry for my broken english :oops:

Code:
Faulty code removed
<<

john

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:29 am

For crying out loud, I keep comming back to the same "Yes. Divide by two and keep going." page and am at the end of my wits. :x

I must however admit that the site takes almost ALL kinds of combination of the nothing number and the text given or of no number and text combinations and of god knows what else I had tried, and does manage to keep going till it reaches this same damn page.

Please please please tell me is this question some kind of trick? Am i supposed to be splitting the text? is the next nothing still a number or some messed up clipper found in the text? Please? I have been at this for quite some days now without any end in sight.

And thanks. I finally managed to get around to learning Python after having procrastinated for years.

Regards
<<

Rebecca

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:16 am

Please please please tell me is this question some kind of trick?

Uhm, no, I wouldn't call it a trick.

Am i supposed to be splitting the text?

No. What's the first thing you think of when someone's speaking of "dividing by two"? Surely you are not thinking of strings, are you?

is the next nothing still a number or some messed up clipper found in the text?

It's a number.
<<

john

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:23 am

Thanks for replying :)

I did try that too. At the page where I got the divide by two message, I entered the new nothing halved. But the loop keeps going and returns to the <next level page> I had encountered previously. And after some time back to this same divide by two page!

Which is why I tried all kinds of tricks like dividing the string etc...
<<

Rebecca

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:58 am

You are already naming the page for the next level, though I don't know how it comes that you encountered it before the divide by two message...

PS: Please edit your post.
<<

john

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:55 am

:D I think the moderator has already commented out the code and I may not need to edit it.

But this time I entered the next level url directly and viola! I got it. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with my code. Lets say ... prefixes are not to be used everywhere.

And the mystery of the next level page occuring before this one may not be a mystery... I think since I kept seeing the same page again and again when I was experimenting with diff combinations with the divide page, I must have misunderstood.

By the way the chap who designed this is a genius. I have tried all kinds of crazy combinations and i still managed to get a page!
Amazing!
:)

(I hope this time I have not given away anything else.)
<<

cards

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:16 am

I've written a script that follows this path of "next nothings" and prints out each one along the way, along with a counter. I'm going over 400 and still seeing only the exact same "and the next nothing is xxxxx". I've even found a spoiler and know what I'm expecting next, but it never comes. The thing I notice is that my "nothings" are not always 5 digits; every 10 or 20 lines, I see a 4 digit one. I assume this is my problem, but can't figure out why I'm getting 4 digit results.

Any ideas? If anyone wants to see my code, let me know and I'll pm you with it. Thanks!
<<

cards

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:37 am

Found my mistake. I don't think this is a spoiler, as it's been made clear that we're trying to find the digits from the pages...I made a stupid mistake and used .isalpha() when I meant to use .isdigit().
<<

FireTiger

Post Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:57 am

hey guys, this ones giving me some trouble! i've never used the urllib...so not really sure what i'm supposed to do. is there a tutorial online about urllib?

EDIT: nevermind...got it
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints