FAQ  •  Login

Level 21

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

Luzandro

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:02 am

Could someone give me a hint how to start this one? I'm searching the library reference for modules which handle some sort of "package" or binary data, but haven't found anything useful yet..
There is also this strange sequence at the beginning of the file, but I have no idea what it means. Each element of this sequence sums up to the same value, or more precisely 4+6 and 5+7 are always 255, but I don't know if this leads me anywhere...

edit: seems like I found something - my hint for the first part: don't read too many hints ;) they can be quite confusing. This one applies also to me, although I also had to make this experience on my own ;)

mjpieters wrote:
naerbnic wrote:I've tried to think of any and all file formats I'm familiar with (and some I'm not) to see what this could work with. Someone mentioned there was a specific module made to deal with this.

I tried all modules that could possibly apply, and the first one I tried worked. That is, it didn't throw an eror; the data had subtly changed so at first I wasn't quite sure anything had happened at all. Then the penny dropped and I solved the riddle.
<<

lukeg

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:07 am

OK, I've been for ages on this level now.

I've successfully unpacked the package, and I've collected some data while doing it. However, I'm not sure, if I've collected the correct data. Does the fact that adding some things up yield the wrong "HIJJIIHIJ" answer means that my l__s are correct?

I've tried making a banner of my l__s, however without succes. The numbers I've got are quite low, and I can't convert them to any meningful ASCII characters.

Well, a lot of hints have been posted, but could someone give me yet another push in the right direction?
<<

Luzandro

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:43 pm

have you been told to look at your logs?
<<

lukeg

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:09 am

Luzandro wrote:have you been told to look at your logs?

Yes, I have. Actually, I've been told to "sgol ruoy ta kool", but I think it's OK?
<<

Luzandro

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:52 am

Yes, I have. Actually, I've been told to "sgol ruoy ta kool", but I think it's OK?

Sure - just depends on when you stop the whole procedure or how it's implemented...

Then obviously you are doing the right thing. But you don't really have to collect "data" on the way - just keep a short log as the message suggests...
<<

lukeg

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:53 am

Luzandro wrote:Then obviously you are doing the right thing. But you don't really have to collect "data" on the way - just keep a short log as the message suggests...

Thank you for all your hints. Howver, I'm still unable to solve the thing.
When I wrote that I "collect data" I meant I'm creating logs. I think my logs are correct, as they look like this: [[6, 3, 10, 3, 6...]...], similarly to what has been posted in forum.

I think I'll give up. Would someone be so kind and PM me a solution?
Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Thanks for all your PMs. As someone already written: reading too many hints may lead to a confusion and overcomplicating what should stay simple.
<<

ovid

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:26 am

ok, now its time to ask for help myself...

I found the file. I uncompressed it (at least to a certain degree).
I found a chain [6, 3, 10, 3, 6,...] which has 12 items total.

I am now stuck with a file that is regarded as a '8086 ... (Microsoft)', but I don't know any further and I have been stuck with this for days now.

PMs welcome, thanks for any help

[EDIT] ok, I _finally_ got it

Some more hints for this one:
The game did not help me at all. I figured out which game is meant, but it only made sense to me afterwards.
The 'look backwards' hint was way more usefull

As already said by others: don't trust /usr/bin/file once you start going
<<

Slammy

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:09 am

Hello and Happy New Year 2007 :)

I'm completely at a loss here for several days now.
the "WHY IT DOESN'T COMPRESS." led me to two options :
- crypto
- compression
I'm now trying to get an idea of the encryption of it but I'm not even sure I'm on the right track :S

If someone can give a hand, would be much appreciated.

EDIT :
I used the 1950 hint and 2 modules ( z... and b..) a couple of times, got the 'look at your..' message, got a 6,3,10,3,6,8,4 sequence.
And now I'm stuck :)

Edit :
As I have the luck to work in the same place as someone who solved it, I was sent to the right direction ...

BEES ARE BLACK or BEES ARE STARS could help indeed.
<<

krazylink

Post Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:15 pm

level 21

I am having real trouble getting started on this one, could someone PM me with some help.
<<

Chirono

Post Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:39 pm

I started trying to do this about a year ago, then gave up. I just remembered why.

I've got the zip file (which i can't remember the password for) and th two files inside. I've tried decompressing one with every python module I can find but nothing works.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind a spoiler so i can just move on...
<<

chensdiscovery

Post Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:26 pm

mjpieters wrote:
naerbnic wrote:I've tried to think of any and all file formats I'm familiar with (and some I'm not) to see what this could work with. Someone mentioned there was a specific module made to deal with this.

I tried all modules that could possibly apply, and the first one I tried worked. That is, it didn't throw an eror; the data had subtly changed so at first I wasn't quite sure anything had happened at all. Then the penny dropped and I solved the riddle.

On to level 22
<<

sacherjj

Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:29 pm

This is the first puzzle in the challenge that has been stumping me for a while. I've read through descriptions of every module that I think could be used on this and I still don't get it. It seems like the 1950 hints are paired with rfc, and about using z..., but I'm not getting anywhere with that. If someone could PM me the module to use or something explicit to get the first part started, I would appreciate it. Part of the problem of not figuring it out and reading through here is you often get more confused than helped with the hints in here.

Well donated $10, but not sure if that will help me get a hint or not.
<<

Rebecca

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:01 am

sacherjj wrote:about using z...

The right flavour shouldn't produce any errors. As someone already mentioned, the affect it is having on the data is only small -- be sure you find that difference, then the next few steps should be clear.
<<

sylentbob

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:33 pm

Help.

Have spent far too much time looking @ hints & such ... and am completely stuck.

I figure I know the right tool, but deciphering what format would be best, just not seeing it.

Done pretty good up to here... Like others, I guessed @ an answer to 20 and got the URL to 25 ... but ... I want to finish them ALL.

So, now I'm stuck ... I'm into the zip returned w/ #20 ... and have the correct id to get in ... so, now I have two files ... readme & the package ... and just not seeing how to unwrap the package.

Would love a bit of directed information. Thanks for your time. ( if anybody even watches these any more ).
<<

oiffrig

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:43 am

jtauber wrote:The biggest hint I can give for someone who is still stuck with package.pack is to encourage you to think about WHY IT DOESN'T COMPRESS.

If something you try doesn't have any effect, look a bit more, you've maybe just missed it.
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints