FAQ  •  Login

Level 30

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

hemlock

Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:33 pm

Greek0 wrote:I'm completely lost here too. I think I understood the hints given till now, I just don't know how to apply them to that table of values.

Could anyone provide some more hints for this one?

Everyone has been getting stuck there. I've helped two people, but both times I think I gave too much info. Lets see...

HINT: You can't get factors of floats so find the factors of something else (look above for the EXACT thing to get the factors of)
HINT: Look at the data another way. Use the factors you found when doing that.
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:21 pm

Greek0 wrote:I'm completely lost here too. I think I understood the hints given till now, I just don't know how to apply them to that table of values.

If you're still staring at the table of floats, and think you understood any of the hints on this board, then yes -- you are completely lost :wink:

Here's a hint: how many floats are there? Then start rereading the hints, but stop very early.
<<

favila

Post Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:37 pm

Argg!

This riddle has been by far the most frustrating one for me.

I've been sitting on the formula for a few weeks. The obvious choices yield 404s, and various other less obvious things yield nothing useful or convertable (though I haven't tried modulo arithmetic yet--yes, I'm that out of ideas.)

Any hints about x, n, and i?
<<

Nic

Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:12 am

I'm totally stuck on this level - I'm staring at a lot of floats but I cannot make any sense of them... Can someone give me a hint on this?
<<

Mickey

Post Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:28 pm

Finally!

Gotta say that this forum is a great way to help get you unstuck. Sometimes I'll start to ask a question, and in writing the question down, I get that flash of insight that answers my own question. Before going to 31...

Hint:

It took me quite a long time to realize that just because you've used data once doesn't mean that you can't use it again for something else. It's the best kind of recycling! The csv module was of no help whatsoever, but I found the decimal module in Python 2.4 to be quite handy for converting the CSV numbers between their two forms: strings and numerical values.
<<

beinsane

Post Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:19 pm

I think I know what x is. I'm in the dark about i, or what to do with n once I find it. Any subtle directions about this?

EDIT: I had the formula wrong. Never mind.
<<

Dexter

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:15 am

hey,
i have no idea what to do with factors x's and n's, can someone give me a strong hint what to do next?
<<

jskora

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:08 pm

Well I am lost again. I know the size of the list and the factors of that size, but I have yet to find or imagine a formula to produce the sequence of numbers. Is there a specific module involved?
<<

oiffrig

Post Thu May 31, 2007 9:53 am

To jskora: you'll find the formula once you've looked at the floats in a different way, to do this, use the factors you've found.

I'm stuck on the formula since a few weeks, I don't know what I should take for x and i, the obvious ones didn't take me anywhere, could someone give me a hint (a spoiler?)?
<<

lukeg

Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:26 am

Well, the text on the level's page says to relax, however I find I'm unable to do so, as the riddle seems to be nothing but a source of frustration for me.
I think I've found the factors, but still don't know how to aplly them to the table of floats. I have to ask some good soul to provide a full-scale spoiler for the riddle.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Never mind. I cracked the thing! Surprisngly, the idea I have derogated a year ago as too stupid was really right here :)
<<

oiffrig

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:14 am

Some work on the formula's results leads me to [856, 257, 162, 29, 167]. Is this relevant? Or am I totally wrong?
<<

jmjoebar

Post Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:19 am

hmm I think I found the 2 factors of n say i and j, but now I don't see how to get the floating numbers.

At first sight I though they were like a mantissa. But despite some efforts, I cannot see how to relate them to i and j.

any more hint ?

EDIT: thank to some supportive private message I finally found out what to do with the csv numbers, and thereafter managed to see the equation and a passage to the next level.
<<

derdoe

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:15 pm

Hello there!

After more than two years of abstinence from the python challenge and after being stuck at level 30 (with the formula) for some time, I just couldn't leave it alone and took some time today to start it all over again.
And just two hours later i finally found, that the solution was almost punching me in the face... I just couldn't see it, because i managed to mess up the data just enough to make it look like "half garbage".

Although this was quite frustrating it was definitely a good one.
on to 31....
<<

hobbyist

Post Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:33 pm

I've got factors. Lots of them, in fact. Is this the right path, and any hints as to the next step? I see mention of a formula/equation, but can't relate the numbers in front of me to any such thing.
<<

hobbyist

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:45 pm

It's been a couple of days, and I'm still stumped. I don't see a pattern, or a formula. If anyone's still out there, I think I could really a push in the right direction.

Edit: Got it.
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints