Level 2

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

kbulb

Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:03 pm

Not Authorised.

What is suppoesed to happen if I changed the url and get a message saying that I was not authorised to view the page?
Have I stubled upon a solution prematurely?
<<

jeremit0

Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:46 am

Re: Level 2

thesamet wrote:Hint 2: Look for exceptional characters.

I am unsure of what an "exceptional character" is. Is it a letter that is rarely used in the English alphabet (e.g. 'q')? Is it a 'non-letter' character like "/"? Is it a vowel? What is the definition of "exceptional character"?
Thanks,
Jeremy
<<

JohnJSal

Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:30 pm

Constantine wrote:You can't take the instructions in the text too literally (g bml'r rfgli rfc com rjb cvgqrq). A better suggestion would be to ynnjw rm rfc dgjclykc md rfgq nyec, zsr lmr rfc cvrclqgml.

I'm confused. Are we talking about the same level? Level 2 is the one with the picture of the book, right? I don't understand what the cryptography has to do with it (plus there are a couple of words in the first line that don't translate).

P.S. What I've done so far is find the characters in the 'mess' that only occur once and use them in the URL, but that didn't work.
<<

veryconfused

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:35 am

Challenge #2

I tried to count all the characters of the types given in the source so I could get the lest used character, but I got nowhere. Other then trying to fix what I have, I have no idea how I could possibly find a "rare character" in the mess given in the source.
<<

JohnJSal

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:40 am

I tried a script that looked for any characters that occurred only once.
<<

veryconfused

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:48 pm

JohnJSal wrote:
Constantine wrote:You can't take the instructions in the text too literally (g bml'r rfgli rfc com rjb cvgqrq). A better suggestion would be to ynnjw rm rfc dgjclykc md rfgq nyec, zsr lmr rfc cvrclqgml.

I'm confused. Are we talking about the same level? Level 2 is the one with the picture of the book, right? I don't understand what the cryptography has to do with it (plus there are a couple of words in the first line that don't translate).

P.S. What I've done so far is find the characters in the 'mess' that only occur once and use them in the URL, but that didn't work.

I think it's either he is giving a hint for this challenge in the cryptography or he could be entirly off and be talking about challenge #1.
<<

veryconfused

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:50 pm

Another question, does the picture of the book have anything to do with the solution :?:
<<

JohnJSal

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:52 pm

veryconfused wrote:Another question, does the picture of the book have anything to do with the solution :?:

no, not at all
<<

prasanth25

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:26 am

:? hi all, I tried many ways of changing the URL. is the hint really in the text that is given? any clues?
<<

JohnJSal

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:41 am

prasanth25 wrote::? hi all, I tried many ways of changing the URL. is the hint really in the text that is given? any clues?

You have to find the characters in the commented section of the page source that only occur once, then re-arrange them to form a word, which is the next URL.
<<

Kermit1941

Post Mon May 15, 2006 7:13 pm

I solved the problem with microsoft word edit and replace characters

because I did not know how to put a string 22 pages long into a string
or file in python.

With microsoft word, I replaced each of the charactrs that occurred
a large number of times with nulls.

Eventually the only letters left were <spoiler removed>.
<<

gorilla

Post Tue May 16, 2006 10:14 am

Kermit1941 wrote:I solved the problem with microsoft word edit and replace characters

because I did not know how to put a string 22 pages long into a string
or file in python.

With microsoft word, I replaced each of the charactrs that occurred
a large number of times with nulls.

Eventually the only letters left were <spoiler removed>.

The purpose of this challenge is to learn python and programming.
Then it doesn't really make sense to use MSWord, though it can also produce the same solution.
<<

Dagur

Post Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:23 am

WARNING:

Do not copy+paste to the command line. I had found the solution in 3 ways but it always gave me the wrong answer because of this. In other words, save the text in a file and open the file from python.
<<

pdamoc

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:40 pm

WARNING:

Make shure you load THE ENTIRE PAGE. Make sure you see the ending
-->
of the comment.

I just wasted a lot of time because the solution I got was valid (a nice looking word ) BUT it was missing the last 3 letters.
<<

forsaken_pariah

Post Tue May 08, 2007 6:40 pm

i solved it using a dictionary and dmslb afypyarcpq rfyr maasppcb mljw mlc rgkc...
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints