FAQ  •  Login

Level 8

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

dc949

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:40 pm

This one was a lot more reasonable. I know I'm on the right track, but I either get:
  Code:
unknown c********** method

or
  Code:
incorrect header check

Depending on whether or not I remove the first two things. I'm doing a direct copy and paste. Tried double quotes, and single... didn't seem to make any difference. Is there a hint I'm missing?
<<

ajohnson

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:02 am

Python doesn't care if you use double or single quotes, as long as you pair them right. I tended to use single. You can actually use it exactly the way it's given to you with a little colon replacement, all things being equal. If you're getting those two messages, you may not be buzzing around the right module.
<<

dc949

Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:14 pm

I was using the wrong lib. I just can't emphasize how poor the documentation is for this language. Eventually one of my friends dug up the documentation on 2, as I was just using the standard (old?) one. Well on to #9.
<<

RayD

Post Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:49 am

dc949 wrote:I was using the wrong lib. I just can't emphasize how poor the documentation is for this language. Eventually one of my friends dug up the documentation on 2, as I was just using the standard (old?) one. Well on to #9.

I don't know why you find the doc poor. This challenge is the easiest so far. The first few bytes of uname and pw are giveaways!
<<

JohnJSal

Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:11 am

What does everyone mean by the hint in the "password window"? I don't see anything there. Do you mean the letters in the source of the page?
<<

franky

Post Sun May 07, 2006 10:42 am

JohnJSal wrote:What does everyone mean by the hint in the "password window"? I don't see anything there. Do you mean the letters in the source of the page?

Nope. When you click on the bee, you are prompted for a username and password, aren't you? And there is a hint in the text of this pop-up window...
<<

Xecuter88

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:10 pm

Im stuck... bz2 maybe?
I have no idea at all!
<<

wawrzek

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:35 pm

I found the right library (I'm nealy sure this is ok, becasue the begining of others file with this extension are the same. But old the time I got
  Code:
IOError: invalid data stream

Where I can find some advice how to properly write this date?

I think is that I cannot convert \x00 to the correct char. When I c&p date to python is ok, but when I use urllib to take the hole webpage and cut only sth. what I need it doesen't work.
<<

ecks

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:30 am

I get exactly the same error. I was up for many hours trying to find that importing it from a file, or even saving it as var doesnt work. Why is that?
<<

Chris2048

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:20 am

bah!

I took the html map being called 'notinsect' as a clue that you should should use that data; I hate the puns, it isn't easy to get them.
<<

Vicenc

Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:27 pm

Re: Level 8

Hello all People Python,

Just to tell us that this Challenge is the best way to learn a programming language. Regarding the Level 8, it seems that I can't copy correctly the text from the "un" to the funticon because always apear the message "Error -3 while decompressing data: incorrect header check".
I suppose that I'm ussing the correct Lib.

Thanks to all from Santpedor (Barcelona)
<<

blast_hardcheese

Post Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:07 pm

Vicenc wrote:Hello all People Python,

Just to tell us that this Challenge is the best way to learn a programming language. Regarding the Level 8, it seems that I can't copy correctly the text from the "un" to the funticon because always apear the message "Error -3 while decompressing data: incorrect header check".
I suppose that I'm ussing the correct Lib.

Thanks to all from Santpedor (Barcelona)

Send me a PM with the data you've got for un and pw, I'll verify that they are the correct data : )
<<

ntommy

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:17 pm

I too had a problem and kept getting the 'invalid data stream' error. I think it has something to do with python v3 (I'm using v3.2.3). Changing the encoding didn't work, so in the end, I just adding the b in front of the strings by hand and it worked.
<<

mrkage

Post Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:39 pm

aye carumba was that easy. got it in about 5 min from figuring out what to do. but man did I have a horrible approach initially. Were those links always there?
<<

maneges

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:40 am

For those that are using python3:
You can no longer simply pass a string to the function; this will result in errors.
You have to convert your string to bytes type by writing variable = b"string"
Now you can use that variable with the function.

For those that need another tip on how to start: Look at the two strings in the source; what to they have in common? google this part.
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints