FAQ  •  Login

Level 14

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

makomk

Post Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:45 pm

As japyh has said, watch out for off-by-one errors! There's one particularly nasty one I was stumped by because it looks almost like it's worked, except that the image is totally mangled.

I caught my mistake by filling the output image with bright blue beforehand and spotting the narrow strip at one edge left uncovered due to my mistake. It might be worth a try.
<<

jetblack101

Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:54 pm

loosen ittt

I really need some help. The html hint makes no sense to me at all. I guess i am suppose to make the same shape as the pastry picture out of the bottom picture but that seems like so much work. Maybe I am missing something but I dont see the relationship between the pastry and the html hint. I would really appreciate some help so thank you all in advance!
<<

ajohnson

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:53 pm

Re: loosen ittt

jetblack101 wrote:that seems like so much work.

Aww, don't be lazy, it's not THAT hard.
<<

cwescott

Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:07 pm

Re: loosen ittt

jetblack101 wrote:I really need some help. The html hint makes no sense to me at all. I guess i am suppose to make the same shape as the pastry picture out of the bottom picture but that seems like so much work. Maybe I am missing something but I dont see the relationship between the pastry and the html hint. I would really appreciate some help so thank you all in advance!

You're on the right track. The code to do what you want to do isn't that bad, but the thought that goes into to it might be.
<<

bornedbored

Post Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:10 am

The bottom picture is like a wire if you look at it into an image viewer but in html code the picture has 100x100 pixels. Keep this in mind and look at the main picture an at the html hint. It clicks? No? Try again ;)

[Edit]

And yes.. it looks hard for me too... but may not be so hard as I think after all. (I'm lazy)
<<

michael_g_hu

Post Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:42 pm

i've tried many ways of rebuild the pixels. I just can see some red point in these pictrue. what would it appear if the way is right?
I also need the method on how to deal with these pixels?
I didn't catch the meaning of the html hint though i'm good at math.
I know the expression but don't know the relationship between them.
<<

gorilla

Post Tue May 16, 2006 8:28 am

I finally worked it out! Great. First I thought my code is good, but it wasn't.
I suggest that you should make a control image similar to the one in the challenge.
I filled an image with a grey gradient and marked it here and there with some colors so I could check my code on that.
Congrats to the writer I think this riddle was a great idea.
<<

jaagut

Post Sun May 28, 2006 12:27 am

My buggy code overwrite the other pixels so it does not produce a good picture of a _ _ _.
<<

Achates

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:31 am

I stared at this for quite some time before I had any idea of what to do. Finally the picture and the hint clicked and it made some sense. I then spent some odd hours pondering how to reformat the data in the correct manner. Currently I have a program I think may work, but I can't run it because I don't have Python at work. Could anyway let me know which way to manipulate the data as in which direction. I suppose I could figure it out fairly quickly, but it would be nice to know.
<<

Achates

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:01 pm

Holy freakin hell that level made my head hurt. The code I wrote at work today worked after a quick debugging. I am soooo glad. I did not want to have to think about how to fix it. Anyway on to level 15.
<<

icy_foot

Post Mon May 12, 2008 1:56 am

Where do I go from the machine gun?

OK, I got a recognizable image, whose name is related to machine-guns - "you'll hear from him later". That page/image, however, doesn't have a level number "15" on it, so I guess I'm stuck. What am I missing? A clue, please? :o
<<

icy_foot

Post Mon May 12, 2008 1:59 am

Addendum

Oh, yeah - forgot to say, Mr. machine-gun was upside-down! That makes me suspect my method might have been wrong - someone please clarify?
Thanks!
<<

icy_foot

Post Mon May 12, 2008 2:04 am

Re: Addendum

icy_foot wrote:Oh, yeah - forgot to say, Mr. machine-gun was upside-down! That makes me suspect my method might have been wrong - someone please clarify?
Thanks!

GAH! I am having an unusually SLOW day! Sorry for asking such a dumb question! I just applied the name of "you'll hear from him later" to the URL and got to level 15... how stupid am I... :oops:
<<

icy_foot

Post Mon May 12, 2008 2:08 am

Achates wrote:Holy freakin hell that level made my head hurt. The code I wrote at work today worked after a quick debugging. I am soooo glad. I did not want to have to think about how to fix it. Anyway on to level 15.

Yes, same here, glad my first round of code worked straight off - would have been real tough to try changing, especially to try a different way of organizing the pixels, going by how long it took me to dope out the algorithm/pseudocode... (though I got caught up in a rather stupid delay :oops: )
<<

icy_foot

Post Mon May 12, 2008 2:19 am

michael_g_hu wrote:i've tried many ways of rebuild the pixels. I just can see some red point in these pictrue. what would it appear if the way is right?
I also need the method on how to deal with these pixels?
I didn't catch the meaning of the html hint though i'm good at math.
I know the expression but don't know the relationship between them.

Look at wire.png in an image editor. Note its dimensions (no. of pixels). Notice the size it has been forced to in the HTML of the page. This is not a coincidence.
The HTML comment hints where to anchor one end of the wire in the output image, and how to proceed laying down pixels (though not verbatim). Given that and the shape in image one, write the code. The very short name of what you see in the output image (if you get it right) takes you to an intermediate page, which leads you to the next level.
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints