FAQ  •  Login

Level 25

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

rspyc

Post Mon May 23, 2005 10:21 am

favila wrote:I'm not seeing or hearing anything useful in the waves. They just don't seem to fit together.

I had the same problem in the beginning. Just concentrate on one of them for now; when you've got one, the others are not that difficult anymore and you'll see more easily how they fit together.
<<

japyh

Post Fri May 27, 2005 10:34 pm

rspyc wrote:
favila wrote:I'm not seeing or hearing anything useful in the waves. They just don't seem to fit together.

I had the same problem in the beginning. Just concentrate on one of them for now; when you've got one, the others are not that difficult anymore and you'll see more easily how they fit together.

Are you saying you can get meaningful information out of just one? Cause I've looked at 'em in a hex editor and I'm not getting it.

I tried putting them together in a few "obvious" ways, but they still don't make sense.

Personally, I'm bummed that xor wasn't the answer.
<<

rspyc

Post Sat May 28, 2005 12:58 am

japyh wrote:Are you saying you can get meaningful information out of just one?

Yes. Well, maybe not very meaningful by itself, but the result should be clear enough to make you see how to continue.
Cause I've looked at 'em in a hex editor and I'm not getting it.
Personally, I'm bummed that xor wasn't the answer.

I got the clue when I looked at them in a sound editor; there's a certain pattern in them that's looks very strange for sound data (this might or might not help you: I think that pattern is the cause of the high-pitched sound you hear when you play the files).
<<

japyh

Post Sat May 28, 2005 5:48 am

rspyc wrote:I got the clue when I looked at them in a sound editor; there's a certain pattern in them that's looks very strange for sound data (this might or might not help you: I think that pattern is the cause of the high-pitched sound you hear when you play the files).

Opened a few of them in Audacity - but looking at the waveform isn't really clueing me in. Should I know what to do with these based on any previous Python Challenge levels? Is there some other hint in this level I'm missing?
<<

rspyc

Post Sat May 28, 2005 6:42 am

japyh wrote:Opened a few of them in Audacity - but looking at the waveform isn't really clueing me in.

It's not obvious; it took me quite some time before I got the clue too. Think about different kinds of data and how that data would look when Audacity displays it.

Should I know what to do with these based on any previous Python Challenge levels? Is there some other hint in this level I'm missing?

There are clues, and I guess you have already seen them, but without understanding their significance:
  • the page title: 'imagine how they sound' (or 'imagine that...' as it originally was)
  • the comment in the page source: 'can you see the waves?'

As you can see, there's a certain visual aspect to these clues.
<<

japyh

Post Sat May 28, 2005 5:58 pm

rspyc wrote:There are clues, and I guess you have already seen them, but without understanding their significance:
  • the page title: 'imagine how they sound' (or 'imagine that...' as it originally was)
  • the comment in the page source: 'can you see the waves?'
As you can see, there's a certain visual aspect to these clues.

Darn, I thought those clues were just to get me to the waves, not telling me what to do with them once I found them.

You're right, I'm not understanding their significance.

Maybe this one will come to me in a dream...
<<

japyh

Post Mon May 30, 2005 7:30 am

I wouldn't have solved this level w/o someone basically telling me what to do (I got a bit more of a hint via PM than I wanted... oh well).

Anyway, on no other level have the hints be so clear after the solution was had and so opaque before the solution. At least for me.

Even after I solved it, I didn't appreciate the significance of the jigsaw until hours later.

Sigh. On to 26.
<<

Stevie-O

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:49 am

Egads

Okay, this one has me thoroughly stumped.

I think I've found three pieces. Am I right? Two of them look very similar to each other. I just don't understand how I'm supposed to be interpreting the data being given to me.

"Imagine how they sound" -- they sound choppy, they sound squeaky, they sound BAD. None of the hints are helping me.

One of the things that frustrates me so much about some of these puzzles is that they assume certain experiences by the puzzle-solver. So many of these puzzles seem completely obvious in retrospect after we've solved them -- it's because they ARE obvious to anyone who's tried the technique. Case in point: puzzle 17, where you had to "mind your plusses" (for the URI escaping). I already knew how URIs are escaped before going into the puzzle, so I had absolutely no problems with the plus/space bit of the problem; however, I saw lots of messages by people who were rather confused at why their decompression was failing.
<<

japyh

Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:52 pm

Re: Egads

Stevie-O wrote:"Imagine how they sound" -- they sound choppy, they sound squeaky, they sound BAD. None of the hints are helping me.

If they sound bad, perhaps you shouldn't be listening to them...
<<

ajohnson

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:47 pm

That was fun too. I guess I finally need to apologize now :)
<<

ciaron

Post Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:52 am

stumped...

I haven't been able to figure out the significance of the jigsaw, or what the "visual aspect" is that people are talking about. I got 3 fairly obvious sets of data from the image and tried the sound trick - is this data useful in some other way? There's no pattern that I can see.

The ROT13'd clue earlier also led nowhere for me.

Another clue would be greatly appreciated! ;)
<<

CarmineM

Post Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:02 pm

I'm struggling to "see the waves", but I'm only left with a bunch of pills
over the desk, and I'm wondering if I need some of them.
Tried to attach a meaning to 25 and to the fact the image is composed
of 25 parts, but so far nothing useful.

I think I can see some recurring data in the first of them, but I guess
it's just my imagination.

please,help
<<

b_gomes

Post Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:06 am

It's oh so simple after you solve it... Getting there that isn't so easy. But it's about the journey, not the destination, right? :wink:
<<

ibis

Post Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:36 pm

[Edited. Typical, always figure things out the second I ask for help]
<<

derdoe

Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:04 pm

The first part was really easy... but I was so busy resizing and ordering the waves in different ways to get them "descrambled" that I didn't wonder why it looked so gray and rainy :wink:
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints