FAQ  •  Login

Level 23

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Sat May 28, 2005 7:54 pm

themule wrote:Am I mistaken or this one "requires" python 2.4 ...

Well, because this is undocumented, it's not possible to track the history in the Python NEWS file. CVS tags suggest this has been part of all Pythons since 2.3a1, and was backported to the 2.1.3 and 2.2.1 releases too.
<<

themule

Post Sun May 29, 2005 11:33 am

No, I was plain wrong. I solved this in an unintened way, that made it too easy for me. Just bad luck. I completely missed the right solution, so my comments do not apply to it. There's an evil shortcut for 2.4 users. See the wiki for details.
<<

DJohn

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:11 am

UncleTimmy wrote:Can't wait to see how Lua, Ruby, Perl or Scheme programmers solve this one :wink:

I finally had to install Python. But I didn't have to use it :wink:
<<

ajohnson

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:05 pm

Bah. I couldn't figure this out, went on vacation, came back, and am still stuck. I got the other hint (gur snpr) but even taken literally I've no idea. Tried to search CVS but either didn't do it right or didn't know what I was looking at. I've only messed with VBscript a bit and a bunch of compiled languages before this so this whole thing is different for me. I think I have some sort of mental block.

Anyone care to PM me some kind of nudge in the right direction?

Maybe I'll try my hand at apologizing to pass the time for now.
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:52 pm

ajohnson wrote:... I've only messed with VBscript a bit and a bunch of compiled languages before this so this whole thing is different for me. I think I have some sort of mental block. ...

Install Python. It won't bite (Pythons squeeze :wink:). You need Python to solve this one -- although you don't need to write Python code to solve this!
<<

ajohnson

Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:11 pm

You misunderstand. I've been using Python 2.4 since level 3 and learning quite a bit as I go along, but now I'm totally lost.

I should be able to find what I'm looking for independent of version/OS right? I use the Windows version.
<<

ajohnson

Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:39 pm

Argh. never mind. I found it elsewhere somehow.
<<

ajohnson

Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:51 pm

I will say that looking at this gave me a complete understanding of rot13, which works in a way that I suspected but wasn't sure of. :wink:
<<

erimar

Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:44 am

Hi! It seems I am completely stuck. It was easy to find the mentioned module, and compile the hint in the html source file, and I tried to interpret it literally, but without any success.
Could anyone give me further hint?
<<

hemlock

Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:04 pm

erimar wrote:Hi! It seems I am completely stuck. It was easy to find the mentioned module, and compile the hint in the html source file, and I tried to interpret it literally, but without any success.
Could anyone give me further hint?

I suspect you don't have the right module. Once you have the module the hint you mentioned will guide you right to the answer.
<<

erimar

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:56 am

Well, this modul is in python2.3 and python 2.4, and it connencts to one of the early levels, and to Caesar. I tought it was the right for me, because it was able to decode the last comment in the html source. It's true, I couldn't find any connection to Fred Drake or Tim P____s. This isn't the right module for me?

Well, it seems, not. But I have to wait until I arrive home, 'cause I don't remember the url.
Scary... The method is right, but the module isn't?
Yes, on to level 24.
Thanks for the hint.
<<

neoeon

Post Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:31 am

Now I've come so far and got no idea how to go further ...
I solved this one already - but as I'm stuck on one of the later levels I'm feeling really sorry - but don't have any Idea how to express my regret ...
I tried to bake - but as it has been posted - the person I'm trying to apologize doesn't accept my bakery .... can anybody please give me a hint?
<<

darkaura

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:46 pm

Just swell. I can't find the undocumented module. Maybe its been documented since? grepping the whole of the lib for drake/peters doesn't seem to enlighten me any. And the face hint hasn't gotten me anywhere.
<<

oiffrig

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:10 am

darkaura wrote:grepping the whole of the lib for drake/peters doesn't seem to enlighten me any

Perhaps because it doesn't appear as is in the module's source...
Re-read the page's title and the hint and try to interpret them differently
<<

rastajoe

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:13 pm

Still fun, but hard

Hi everybody,

first I want to say big thanks for the python challenge. I already had a lot of fun solving the riddles so far. I just love it.

However, I stopped after level 22, because it was simply taking too much time. ;-) (After all, I read that this was the former end level, so I said to myself "at least I solved the old python challenge completely" ;-) )

Now I am stuck again. I don't actually know how much the hints in this forum were of a help - I often looked here in the past, carefully not to spoil my solving fun. As usual, I found the hints for level 23 quite hard to understand, but I took more and more of the source hints literally and finally found this module (after looking into the library docs first, finding documentation on all undocumented modules, which was of no real help). Actually, I looked for *undocumented* modules by hand and found it.

I have looked up several meanings of the f-word from the last hint, but I still cannot understand what that hint is about.

Maybe next time. :-)
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints