FAQ  •  Login

Level 19

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:15 pm

pbm wrote:... I heard the obvious word and tried and failed to apologize.

And you did that without seeing a "Continue to the next level" link on the page the obvious word took you to? If not, try pointing your mouse at that link, then depress and release the left mouse button :wink:.
<<

pbm

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:12 am

UncleTimmy wrote:

And you did that without seeing a "Continue to the next level" link on the page the obvious word took you to? If not, try pointing your mouse at that link, then depress and release the left mouse button :wink:.

Now I'm really puzzled. The page I'm looking at has text: '- "what are you apologizing for?"' but no link. I'm either being very stupid or I've gone down a different path somewhere. :?
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:12 am

pbm wrote:
UncleTimmy wrote:

Now I'm really puzzled. The page I'm looking at has text: '- "what are you apologizing for?"' but no link. I'm either being very stupid or I've gone down a different path somewhere. :?

The page you get to using the obvious heard word is the page with the link to the next level. That page also says "Now you should a________". You didn't hear the word that got you to the "what are you apologizing for?" page, right?
<<

pbm

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:29 am

UncleTimmy wrote:The page you get to using the obvious heard word is the page with the link to the next level. That page also says "Now you should a________". You didn't hear the word that got you to the "what are you apologizing for?" page, right?

Er, I did hear the obvious word that got me to "what are you apologizing for?". I can only think of one other word it could be (something you might wear in India) and that's not it either. Should I start again? Should I learn Java instead of Python? :cry:
<<

mjpieters

Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:34 am

pbm wrote:Er, I did hear the obvious word that got me to "what are you apologizing for?".

No, that word is too obvious; remember that L's computer is out of order, you will need to fix things before you hear the correct message.
<<

pbm

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:34 pm

mjpieters wrote:No, that word is too obvious; remember that L's computer is out of order, you will need to fix things before you hear the correct message.

I fixed it. Thanks for the heads up. I was stuck there for far too long. I think that song was for me ... :roll:
<<

peter

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:40 pm

Hi,

Maybe I am stupid, but I cannot solve this one. I've got two messages:
- "what are you apologizing for?"

and

nnn. what could this mean?

but neither gives me any clue. I've tried to play the way backwards, slower, faster, but I just do not hear anything. I am on my way to install some software to that will allow to modify the bitrate. Is this the correct route?

I've tried to interpret what I am hearing (the noise) less literally, but no success.

Any other hint?

Thanks,

Peter.
<<

pbm

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:37 pm

peter wrote:Hi,
Maybe I am stupid, but I cannot solve this one. I've got two messages:
- "what are you apologizing for?"

and
nnn. what could this mean?

I was in the same boat yesterday, but you shouldn't need to install special software: there is a standard Python library that is specifically for this. Try changing some of the properties available and see what you get. :wink:
<<

glmrenard

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:44 am

Same problem

Hello,

I have the same problem but I can hear like people singing but I don't anything about what they ar saying :(

I change (1, 2, 11025, 55788, 'NONE', 'not compressed')
to (1, 1, 22050, 55788, 'NONE', 'not compressed')

But it's not really understandable....

I tried lots of variants but nothing really useful.

Any idea would be greatly appreciated ;)

PS : i am french with no special competence in english so maybe a push in the right drection would be useful to me
<<

mjpieters

Site Admin

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:47 am

You are close, but have not picked up all the hints. L didn't say his computer had the wrong framerate or framesize, he said his computer is out of order.

The map on the screen is also a hint, BTW. Think Gulliver's travels (anyone fancy an egg?) and computer science. I actually saw a transcript of a court session once where the clerk wrote down the phrases 'big indian' and 'little indian'. Isn't jargon funny? :)
<<

glmrenard

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:03 am

Gulliover... Ge did a travel to giant and dwarf country didn't he ?
The map... Maybe a color inversion , Should I reverse the frames AND doing other thing ? I continue trying !
<<

glmrenard

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:43 am

OK, I think I've it, thanks a lot :) but I don't know how reverse l**** i***** to b*** i**** (or vice versa) , does I need to 'arrange' the data by hand and not using the w*** module ?
What I did is simply to reverse 'the stream' I inverted the data( begin by the end) but othong earable ...
Is it a good idea to even try ?
Cause I am driving me mad with all that and my ears suffer a lot !!!

OK, maybe it's a spoil, maybe not...
For the frames I did
original
003f 0740 0040 043f 0840 0640 0a3f 0e40
my version
[spoiler removed]

But it doesn't seem to be correct, really I'm stuck here ...:
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:13 am

glmrenard wrote:... For the frames I did
original
003f 0740 0040 043f 0840 0640 0a3f 0e40 ...

That doesn't look like the original frame data; don't know where you got it from. The first five bytes of the original frame data are:

Code:
0x40 0x06 0x40 0x0c 0x40
<<

glmrenard

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:16 am

i know

I know that, I did a hexdump to get some random data to show you my idea ...
I'ver hit. i had the beginning of the phrase but the last word ~quite difficult to hear, google search on "Y** *** **" and it was OK.

Happy now :D
<<

makomk

Post Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:38 pm

Well, that was easy - I just had to swab out my ears, and everything became clear :)
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints