Post Sat May 28, 2005 8:12 pm

Level 28

Something fishy in the histograms
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Sat May 28, 2005 8:56 pm

Re: Level 28

johnlr wrote:Something fishy in the histograms

Indeed! No pixel value appears exactly 63 times, and chr(63) is ... a question mark! I hope that wasn't a spoiler :wink:
<<

mjpieters

Site Admin

Post Sat May 28, 2005 11:39 pm

Whatever the histo's say, I don't trust one of the channels. Two out of three are just your ordinary kind normal type, but one of them shows a distinct funny pattern...
<<

mjpieters

Site Admin

Post Sun May 29, 2005 3:07 am

42 is the answer to the ultimate question. Now I need to find out who'd done it.
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Mon May 30, 2005 8:52 am

mjpieters wrote:42 is the answer to the ultimate question. Now I need to find out who'd done it.

Major blind spot here for me :( 42 I probably get, except for the number of hours in a day at half the degrees in a circle. "Many pairs" too, at least in its plain English sense. But
  Code:
"-".join(["RING"] * n)
for n in [2, 3] doesn't mean squat to me, whether I say it out loud, spell out the letters, whisper it, or even try not to think about it. Does it mean something in Dutch :wink:?
<<

mjpieters

Site Admin

Post Mon May 30, 2005 10:40 am

UncleTimmy wrote:But
  Code:
"-".join(["RING"] * n)
for n in [2, 3] doesn't mean squat to me, whether I say it out loud, spell out the letters, whisper it, or even try not to think about it.

I had to ask thesamet about that one, and this one is, in my opnion worse that 'Peak Hill'. ;) You can find the solution without understanding this one, but apparently it is a color. Just pronounce it with a lot of Ees.

Does it mean something in Dutch :wink:?

What does Guido say? ;)
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Mon May 30, 2005 3:21 pm

mjpieters wrote:I had to ask thesamet about that one, and this one is, in my opnion worse that 'Peak Hill'. ;) You can find the solution without understanding this one, but apparently it is a color. Just pronounce it with a lot of Ees.

Eek! There are no eee sounds in this word -- unless maybe you're doing an impression of Ricky Ricardo chewing out Lucy. Ya, that works :)

Oh well. I count this as an anti-clue, then -- if it's the color I think it is, I knew that days ago, and was hoping ring-ring-ring was a clue about what to do with it. Good misdirection :wink:.
<<

mjpieters

Site Admin

Post Mon May 30, 2005 11:52 pm

UncleTimmy wrote:was hoping ring-ring-ring was a clue about what to do with it.

That was where I was stuck for a while too. You'd think there was actually going to be some python code or something.

Rather, that function you found is something that is in the fabric of the very challenge. It is in the foundations of this whole you are doing. Ask yourself, who is responsible, ultimately? You already know, I bet.
<<

johnlr

Post Tue May 31, 2005 3:17 am

mjpieters wrote:Ask yourself, who is responsible, ultimately? You already know, I bet.

Douglas Adams of course.

I am drawing a blank with the ("-GNIR"*3)[:0:-1] too :?
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Tue May 31, 2005 6:14 pm

mjpieters wrote:
UncleTimmy wrote:was hoping ring-ring-ring was a clue about what to do with it.
Rather, that function you found ...

Actually, I hadn't found "that function" yet -- spent enormous amounts of time playing increasingly crazy tunes with the obviously wrong parts of the band :(.

... is something that is in the fabric of the very challenge. It is in the foundations of this whole you are doing. Ask yourself, who is responsible, ultimately? You already know, I bet.

Yup, that part was dead easy -- doesn't everyone know :wink:?
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Tue May 31, 2005 6:22 pm

johnlr wrote:... I am drawing a blank with the ("-GNIR"*3)[:0:-1] too :?

Trust me on this: ignore it. The "many pairs" part is a good hint, but there's no way a native English speaker is going to get anything but frustration out of ring-ring-ring. And ya, native Aussie and native Kiwi are close enough to real English for the same conclusion :wink:.

If you can't let it go, play Ricky Ricardo and say reeeng-reeeng-reeeng. Then squint your ears and try to hear something else. If you're successful, it will tell you something you already figured out :).
<<

johnlr

Post Tue May 31, 2005 6:40 pm

UncleTimmy wrote:Trust me on this: ignore it. The "many pairs" part is a good hint, but there's no way a native English speaker is going to get anything but frustration out of ring-ring-ring. And ya, native Aussie and native Kiwi are close enough to real English for the same conclusion :wink:.

If you can't let it go, play Ricky Ricardo and say reeeng-reeeng-reeeng. Then squint your ears and try to hear something else. If you're successful, it will tell you something you already figured out :).

Actually if a native kiwi hears a native aussie say RING it may be getting close. But then it sounds like they are saying sex when they mean six...

Yeah, figured out the colour days ago... damn
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Tue May 31, 2005 9:43 pm

johnlr wrote:... Yeah, figured out the colour days ago... damn

And then what -- nothing? I got stuck days ago too, but right after my Douglas Adams Moment. Did you have yours yet?
<<

johnlr

Post Tue May 31, 2005 10:00 pm

UncleTimmy wrote:And then what -- nothing? I got stuck days ago too, but right after my Douglas Adams Moment. Did you have yours yet?

I multiplied six by nine and got some bits. Not sure what to do with them. Interestingly they didn't want to compress, so I guess that means either they are pretty random or they have been destroyed by a Vogon Spaceship.
<<

johnlr

Post Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:20 pm

I have tried mant things with the pairs, but nothing has worked for me yet.
I've got a bid on ebay for a finite probability drive hopefully that is going to help.
Next

Return to Python Challenge Hints