Opinion about The "game"

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

eldamir

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:28 am

Opinion about The "game"

I felt a nedd to share with the community/author. I've read a lot of angry comments about the game. I personally think, that the frontpage needs a description of the game. Many, myaelf included, came to solve some riddles/exercises with python, but after solving the first 7 challenges, I find that the biggest challenge is to understand the misleading hints given Throughout the challenges.

This game is more about guessing arbitrary and confusing hints from the auther than actually using python. I found that even when finding the output of my code, it was rarely useful because it needes to be used in context with some random sentence making little, if any, sense.

Arguably, some like the game like this. And thats fine. I recommend updating the frontpage to help visitors get the right impression, so they wont be hoping for coding-challenges and getting riddle solving challenges instead.

Thanks, Eldamir
<<

blast_hardcheese

Post Wed May 23, 2012 9:58 am

Re: Opinion about The "game"

I'm not sure how so many people can be so displeased with the game.

It's a game.

It's free.

No, it's not for everyone, and yes there are plenty of word puzzles (peak hell, ring, etc) and some ambiguity (some of the XMLRPC challenges), but this game does not owe you anything. If you don't like it, there may be some other things you can do with your time.

I've been playing off and on for a few years, it helped me learn Python from scratch by giving me topics to research. It's been a whole lot of fun exploring the limits of python (Trying to solve level 24 with recursion quickly reaches the max recursion depth) and learning very specialized libraries (PIL, pkzip). At the end of the day I still recommend PythonChallenge to friends who want to get started or enjoy puzzles. If they get stuck, the hints forum exists, and there are plenty of very detailed walkthroughs of some of the puzzles that are more literary than Python.

Return to General Discussion