FAQ  •  Login

A python game that doesn't teach any python, curious.

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

capngloval

Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:00 pm

A python game that doesn't teach any python, curious.

Staring at the number 238, with absolutely no guide, no python script to try, and no way to know without cheating that i am supposed to multiply it as a square...

This "Python Challenge" I soon found out doesn't teach a lick of python. I got to level 5, and said, "wait, I was hoping to learn some python... this sucks."

Why don't you let someone have a hint, or show some python code... seriously, for someone who has never used python before, after your website he/she will still not know any python.

You can get more of a benefit from reading the dry wiki info about python than participating in this asinine "game".

For as much hype as there is on your main page, i have found (after "playing" the "game") 10 times the negative comments that sound pretty much like mine.

One last thing, I love to learn. But if this is a game, it lacks all the proper characteristics of one. Like fun.

Your "game" is about as much fun as another game i like to play called "watching the paint dry."

Slightly disgruntled,
-Dennis Andrew Gutowski Jr.
<<

blast_hardcheese

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: A python game that doesn't teach any python, curious.

capngloval wrote:Staring at the number 238, with absolutely no guide, no python script to try, and no way to know without cheating that i am supposed to multiply it as a square...This "Python Challenge" I soon found out doesn't teach a lick of python. I got to level 5, and said, "wait, I was hoping to learn some python... this sucks."

You can get more of a benefit from reading the dry wiki info about python than participating in this asinine "game".

For as much hype as there is on your main page, i have found (after "playing" the "game") 10 times the negative comments that sound pretty much like mine.

One last thing, I love to learn. But if this is a game, it lacks all the proper characteristics of one. Like fun.

Your "game" is about as much fun as another game i like to play called "watching the paint dry."

Slightly disgruntled,
-Dennis Andrew Gutowski Jr.

Hi hylian!

[19:33:14] *** Joins: hylian (~hylian@239.173-254-137.cellcom.com)
[19:34:15] <hylian> not only is your challenge ridiculously confusing, it also did not teach me a thing about python. Is this supposed to be for people who are already python scholars?

[19:40:49] <hylian> the python challenge is a joke.
[19:43:00] <hylian> can someone point me to a python website that actually teaches you python, and without expecting you to be a python wiz already, because "the python challenge" does NOT do this.

[19:47:57] <hylian> please explain to me how showing me an image of 238 teaches me even one thing about python. The short answer is it absolutely does NOT. It doesn't teach me a damn thing about python. if you had some script their to help you solve the problem, then maybe it would be worth the 2 cents of electricity i used to view it.

[19:50:36] *** Quits: hylian (~hylian@239.173-254-137.cellcom.com) (Quit: Leaving)

Let's examine your concerns:

1) PythonChallenge is structured differently than the multitude of other instructional material on learning Python.
2) You seem incapable of finding the hints all over the website itself and this very forum.
3) You seem to expect that an arbitrary website you visit is going to magically dump information into your head.
4) This website should cater to what you define as fun.
and somewhat tangentially...
5) You expect a very slow IRC channel respond immediately to your offensive assertions that you know more about what people should use their computers for than anyone else who enjoys this game.

Fortunately, you posted effectively the same garbage to this forum, which gives an excellent place for a rebuttal.

[22:26:01] <blast_hardcheese> hylian: ?
[22:26:43] <blast_hardcheese> There are billion python tutorials on the internet
[22:27:17] <blast_hardcheese> PythonChallenge assumes you have a certain amount of knowledge about Python already, yes.
[22:28:01] <blast_hardcheese> However, one of the most difficult things about learning a language is finding a place to use your new knowledge.
[22:28:41] <blast_hardcheese> PythonChallenge solves this in a fun and interesting way, so much so that I've heard of people using PythonChallenge to learn other languages (Ruby, in this case, but there have probably been more)
[22:28:53] <blast_hardcheese> This is not a handholding exercise
[22:29:09] <blast_hardcheese> This is a sequence of puzzles and riddles, intended to be solved via programming.
[22:29:44] <blast_hardcheese> If this is not what you were looking for, I recommend http://learnpythonthehardway.org/

The fact that you came to this forum and registered an account just to whine... The internet is not your plaything. You did not pay money for this website. Go away.
<<

maneges

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:56 am

Re: A python game that doesn't teach any python, curious.

So someone just registered to complain, so I will just register to tell you how nice your site is!

I really like it and think it's a good idea.
I started learning python yesterday and I'm already at challenge 5 (actually I'm waiting for my level4 url script to run through at the moment).
Especially the wiki is a nice idea because you can see other ways that are much more elegant and faster. For example my script was 10x slower than the regex solution posted on the wiki xD
So thanks for this website =)

Btw; how can I write something into the wiki? Cannot register anywhere.

Return to General Discussion