Python required puzzles?

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

kevin

Post Fri May 06, 2005 8:53 am

Python required puzzles?

I've been enjoying these puzzles, but I'm not a python programmer. The first few puzzles don't seem to require any python skills. Can someone post which puzzles if any are "python only" (i.e., the puzzle can only be solved with knowlege of Python, not some other language like Perl)?
<<

weiwha

Post Fri May 06, 2005 9:44 am

Some of the hints are geared to python modules, but so far I think there's been an equivalent in CPAN for every level upto 11. I am not ENTIRELY certain of this, as I've used python for everything. It makes it pretty easy, as most of what you need is in standard & when a module is needed, it is obvious.
<<

mjpieters

Site Admin

Post Fri May 06, 2005 2:20 pm

I'd have thought that level 5 is pretty much tied to a Python module, but I see that there is indeed a Perl module to access the same data. Golly.

Still, the creator of these puzzles uses Python, and assumes you will use Python to solve them. So the hints are geared towards an audience at least vaguely familiar with the Python standard library (and a few outside of that library). I have suggested other challenges that may well be impossible to solve in other languages.
<<

UltraDM

Post Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:15 am

weiwha wrote:Some of the hints are geared to python modules, but so far I think there's been an equivalent in CPAN for every level upto 11. I am not ENTIRELY certain of this, as I've used python for everything. It makes it pretty easy, as most of what you need is in standard & when a module is needed, it is obvious.

You can solve all levels using Perl only solutions if you will.

For level 5 there is a Python specific module you need to use, but once you figured out what's the module name, you will find it on CPAN.

Also, there are two more levels where you need to have Python installed in order to extract some bits of info, but you can use the Python files as regular files from where you can extract that info.

Return to General Discussion