FAQ  •  Login

Level 6

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

dstockto

Post Tue May 10, 2005 3:38 pm

Holy cow... Finally I got it. The first challenge was determining the name of the module to use (since I am not famliar with python at all). I would really like to (some time) see the quick and easy scripts that let people figure out some of these challenges with Python. I'm pretty sure I figured out the easiest (python) way for challenge #0 (not hard, I know, but again, I am not yet a python programmer). Challenge 6 was tough and I had to fix things in a text editor to make it look correct. *whew* On to challenge 7.
<<

dontfeartheGC

Post Wed May 11, 2005 10:28 am

This is the first riddle I'm having real trouble with. I looked at the picture for a while and tried

******.html

and that gave me a hint that I followed to

***.html

and the advice now is [verb] the [noun]. ([noun] is the name of a built-in function, but I know I'm not supposed to use that.) I cannot figure out where to look for [noun] and browsing this thread didn't give any hints. Is enlightenment achieved by looking at the picture a little more closely?

Thanks!
<<

mjpieters

Site Admin

Post Wed May 11, 2005 11:20 am

dontfeartheGC wrote:Is enlightenment achieved by looking at the picture a little more closely?

Looking at the HTML source hints is maybe more fruitful. The hint tells you almost literally what to do.
<<

dontfeartheGC

Post Wed May 11, 2005 11:35 am

mjpieters wrote:
dontfeartheGC wrote:Is enlightenment achieved by looking at the picture a little more closely?

Looking at the HTML source hints is maybe more fruitful. The hint tells you almost literally what to do.

Source *hint*, singular, no? That doesn't tell you much.

I also found, as a previous poster did, the page that says "amazing. **** **". Somehow, I don't think that's related to this riddle.
<<

anachronic

Post Thu May 12, 2005 11:56 pm

I've gotten to the point where i've got a bunch of characters extracted from the thing that the page hints at.

Now, as someone else alluded to, they're in no obvious order that i can see now... and the key to this puzzle is putting them into some kind of order (based on a previous step)....
[Does the proper ordering have anythign to do with the page hint about pairs?]

Can anyone give a hint to point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Wicked good riddles, by the way... i'm only a beginner python programmer, and it's been lots of fun whacking through the docs and IPython figuring this stuff out.
<<

jleedev

Post Sat May 14, 2005 8:15 pm

anachronic wrote:...the key to this puzzle is putting them into some kind of order (based on a previous step)....
[Does the proper ordering have anythign to do with the page hint about pairs?]

Yes it does. Traverse the beast, collecting (spoiler removed) as you go.
<<

reflog

Post Sat May 14, 2005 11:45 pm

help!

guys!
help, please!
stuck on this level with no idea on where to procede... Html source didn't help much, and taking a look inside the picture didn't help aswell...
a hint, please?
<<

bb1898

Post Sun May 15, 2005 1:11 am

Re: help!

reflog wrote:guys!
help, please!
stuck on this level with no idea on where to procede... Html source didn't help much, and taking a look inside the picture didn't help aswell...
a hint, please?

Did you read this thread carefully? I'd recommend especially the post by mjpieters, posted Fri May 06, 7:55, in answer to Markm. Read it again, think about it, remember what you did in former levels.
<<

reflog

Post Sun May 15, 2005 3:48 am

bb1898 wrote:Did you read this thread carefully? I'd recommend especially the post by mjpieters, posted Fri May 06, 7:55, in answer to Markm. Read it again, think about it, remember what you did in former levels.

yes, i did read the thread, including that post.
i realise that some module that was used prior to this level should be used, but since i used only the p***** module, don't see where to apply it.
<<

jonas

Post Sun May 15, 2005 11:25 am

I've got this one, and I wonder what this 666 thing supposed to mean.
<<

bb1898

Post Sun May 15, 2005 12:30 pm

reflog wrote:
bb1898 wrote:Did you read this thread carefully? I'd recommend especially the post by mjpieters, posted Fri May 06, 7:55, in answer to Markm. Read it again, think about it, remember what you did in former levels.

yes, i did read the thread, including that post.
i realise that some module that was used prior to this level should be used, but since i used only the p***** module, don't see where to apply it.

No. You didn't only use modules in former levels, you did several other things which should come in helpfully now.

This is another riddle which is easier if english is your native language. It might be a good idea to name some things in the picture.
<<

Durandal

Post Mon May 16, 2005 8:10 pm

Wow, this one took a bit.

Mostly because I wouldn't read enough of the chain in, so when I'd go to look for the hidden thing, I'd end up with only half of it >_<

(verb) the (noun) was not a problem.
<<

Berci79

Post Tue May 17, 2005 9:19 am

I'm facing the list of [noun]s for a day, but I can not find the right order for them (in fact, I even can't imagine it). I think I tried all the information that the library can give, but all of them provides the same value for each member, wich doesn't give me an order. So.. can you help me?
<<

Berci79

Post Tue May 17, 2005 2:10 pm

Berci79 wrote:I'm facing the list of [noun]s for a day, but I can not find the right order for them (in fact, I even can't imagine it). I think I tried all the information that the library can give, but all of them provides the same value for each member, wich doesn't give me an order. So.. can you help me?

It's okay now :)
<<

ragol

Post Sun May 22, 2005 10:37 am

I'm feeling very, very stupid right now. I've read this thread more than carefully about ten times but just don't get it. I know that I don't have to use the module named after this riddle, but I have no idea what would the right module be. If I've understood correctly from this thread, when you find out the right module, it will be easier, but... :(

Yeah, quite new with Python and programming and when you speak Finnish as your mother tongue and don't understand/speak/write English very well, English-language related hints aren't the best. :( Though I was very proud of myself when I found out the right module for the 5th riddle.

Oh well, it would be nice to continue my journey with these riddles, but just now it doesn't look very promising.

Very sincerely yours and as I said, feeling myself more than stupid,

Ragol
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints