FAQ  •  Login

Level 29

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

Mr_Wibble

Post Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:28 am

This will probably mean little to non-Brits but my first thought on seeing this picture was 'It's Eric Morcambe'.
<<

pickledgoldfish

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:13 am

I can't find the silence. I've tried all the obvious places except for one.

I would be very grateful, if someone could give me a hint about what that one is.

Thanks.
<<

mjpieters

Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:55 am

pickledgoldfish wrote:I've tried all the obvious places except for one.

I bet that you already looked in the right place, just not close enough.
<<

WyvernWolf

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:11 am

I can't seem to keep quiet on this one - no silence for me :( I've got favila's hint and I've fiddled around with the corresponding 'sounds' - both literally as in 'all possible frequencies', and descriptively as in real silence (no frequency at all), to no avail.

I've also got the 'yes. this is a *****', 'no, thank you' and 'many *********** ****** in here' messages. Too much information and not enough silence :(

So if anybody has some other helpful hint, please help this fellow see the silence ;)

Update: Just found the silence - I was listening to the wrong tune :oops: Useful hints from favila and fc, also last two posts from mjpieters - should've payed more attention!!
<<

Mickey

Post Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:10 am

Need unsticking

I'm stuck down a particular line of thinking, and I can't get unstuck.

I've been trying to see the silence by filtering pixels in the picture to see if they make a recognizable pattern. All of the filters that I've tried have failed:

(1) Pixels that contain any (or all) RGB values that are whitespace (i.e., such that chr(pixel[n]).isspace() is true for n in 0,1,2. I've also tried this with just spaces, just tabs, and just spaces/tabs.
(2) Pixels that contain any (or all) RGB values that appear in the word "Silence!" (I've also tried this with capitalized and uncapitalized keywords "guido", "sh", "tweety', and "quiet")
(3) Pixels whose RGB sums mod 256 are in the above categories.

I notice that there is a now-unavailable python package called silence. Do I need to get that package in order to solve this?

Am I on the right track, but just haven't discovered the right filter? Or am I way, way off base? In either case, can someone help me get unstuck?
<<

mjpieters

Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:23 am

Re: Need unsticking

Mickey wrote:(1) Pixels that contain any (or all) RGB values that are whitespace (i.e., such that chr(pixel[n]).isspace() is true for n in 0,1,2. I've also tried this with just spaces, just tabs, and just spaces/tabs.

Nice idea, pity you got the wrong file...
<<

nadia

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:07 am

need hint

I know what type of silence to look for,and I thought I found it somewhere with the image , but it's not exacly the same type of silence I was looking for ,I tried to find a message hidden in it but I couldn't, now I'm not sure anymore where to look :?
I don't want to give up after getting to this level, it was fun really ...
I really need a good hint :oops:
<<

fletcher

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:15 am

Ear to the ground

I'm stuck where nadia is and need a gentle nudge. Favila helped me find a kind of silence (and a strange Trappist language) but I don't think I should listen to a jpeg. I think I need another file. Is the clue in the picture? Do I have to guess who it is?

...Now you see it, now you don't! Thank you jdw for pointing out that hearing aids don't only block out the noise.
<<

jskora

Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:41 am

silence, what silence?

Ok, I am thick. I have looked (I believe) many places for silence. The voices in my head keep drowning it out I guess and they are getting more perturbed so a gentle clue for finding the silence would be appreciated (the existing clues need not be repeated, please).

Thanks!

[Think i found the silence, now have to figure out what to do with it.]

[Sneaky, almost sick. Fits well with the other levels! Glad I did this with no help, feels very satisfying.]
<<

pioppo

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: Level 29

Sigh

I saved the page using firefox Save As and extracted silence from there.
Firefox silently reflowed the silent cutting at 72 chars but I didn't know, I thought that was the original file.

I spent 10 days to figure out how to defrag the silence and rebuild the original bytes. Unfortunately the reflowing algorithm was not reversible (bytes multiple than 72 get merged with the following bytes) so I had a trial-and-error decoder conceptually similar to the one in level 26. Eventually I found two bytes multiple than 72 and finally got the a stream with a valid checksum.

I was so proud I had completed such a difficult level, but then I went to the wiki and found that I spent 10 days just to fix an artifact of the browser and the level per-se was trivial :(
Previous

Return to Python Challenge Hints