FAQ  •  Login

Level 24

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

japyh

Posts: 30

Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 9:42 am

Post Wed May 18, 2005 6:21 pm

Re: So close, yet so far

UncleTimmy wrote:OK! I have 43070 segments, and it's got to be on the right track.

Nevertheless, no variation of "little man smoking a cigarette, with giant exploding brain and legs" seems to work as the key to the next level. Maybe that's because he's twirling a whirligig, not smoking a cigarette? Or maybe it's a map of Mars. I'll pursue these possibilities with vigor.


So is this one finally a programming challenge then, as opposed to just more tricks with PIL? Playing with the color map certainly didn't get me anywhere, so I suppose I get to navigate the maze now. I don't see any other hints about where else to go...

j.
<<

tah

Posts: 14

Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 11:45 am

Post Wed May 18, 2005 6:57 pm

Bah! I solved it in the obvious way and got...nothing.

I suppose there must be another obvious way. Back to the drawing board.
<<

UncleTimmy

Posts: 118

Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 3:44 pm

Post Wed May 18, 2005 7:34 pm

Re: So close, yet so far

UncleTimmy wrote:OK! I have 43070 segments, and it's got to be on the right track.


The original version of this riddle had some problems. With the current version, I get 44622 segments -- but I never defined what "segment" means :wink:

Nevertheless, no variation of "little man smoking a cigarette, with giant exploding brain and legs" seems to work as the key to the next level. Maybe that's because he's twirling a whirligig, not smoking a cigarette? ...


The little smoker is gone too. You'll have to come up with your own images now! After you've solved this, run my solution on the Wiki, and stare at the "justblue.png" it creates -- if you're tired enough, you'll start hallucinating too :)
<<

japyh

Posts: 30

Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 9:42 am

Post Wed May 18, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: So close, yet so far

UncleTimmy wrote:The little smoker is gone too. You'll have to come up with your own images now! After you've solved this, run my solution on the Wiki, and stare at the "justblue.png" it creates -- if you're tired enough, you'll start hallucinating too :)


Is that a hint that I don't need to traverse the maze and this is really just playing with pixel data? Cause I tried that already, justblue, justred, justgreen, and I didn't see anything.

Lost in the maze.
<<

UncleTimmy

Posts: 118

Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 3:44 pm

Post Wed May 18, 2005 7:46 pm

Re: So close, yet so far

japyh wrote:So is this one finally a programming challenge then, as opposed to just more tricks with PIL?


I don't see why it couldn't be both -- but I have a spare copy of MS Paint if you want to spend a year on this one :wink:

Playing with the color map certainly didn't get me anywhere, so I suppose I get to navigate the maze now. I don't see any other hints about where else to go...


Don't forget the page title ...
<<

UncleTimmy

Posts: 118

Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 3:44 pm

Post Wed May 18, 2005 7:50 pm

Re: So close, yet so far

japyh wrote:
UncleTimmy wrote:The little smoker is gone too. ... After you've solved this, run my solution on the Wiki, and stare at the "justblue.png" it creates ...


Is that a hint that I don't need to traverse the maze and this is really just playing with pixel data? ...


My comment was directed primarily at those who already solved it. For example, that's why it said "after you've solved this" :wink:
<<

favila

Posts: 12

Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 12:10 am

Post Wed May 18, 2005 9:55 pm

Is solving the maze the way to go on this? 'cause I solved the maze, and I don't see any hints as to what to do next...

(Not that solving the maze wasn't fun, mind you.)
<<

birkenfeld

Posts: 31

Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 1:11 am

Post Wed May 18, 2005 9:59 pm

favila wrote:Is solving the maze the way to go on this? 'cause I solved the maze, and I don't see any hints as to what to do next...


Yes, it is. Solve it and take l__s.
<<

johnlr

Posts: 41

Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 4:17 pm

Location: kiwi in aussie

Post Thu May 19, 2005 2:40 am

I have had the maze solved for more than a day now, tried lots of things, but keep hitting a brick wall. I have that feeling again that the next step is obvious and I am looking past it.
<<

stedi

Posts: 15

Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 3:56 am

Location: Germany

Post Thu May 19, 2005 3:26 am

johnlr wrote:I have had the maze solved for more than a day now, tried lots of things, but keep hitting a brick wall. I have that feeling again that the next step is obvious and I am looking past it.

After solving the maze, the solution was just a couple of steps away (and you've done any of these steps somewhere along the way to this level). Are you sure, you've solved the maze?
<<

UncleTimmy

Posts: 118

Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 3:44 pm

Post Thu May 19, 2005 4:05 am

johnlr wrote:I have had the maze solved for more than a day now, tried lots of things, but keep hitting a brick wall. I have that feeling again that the next step is obvious and I am looking past it.


I wouldn't say "obvious", but remember the page title. Does a maze care about the direction you use to traverse it? The answer is no :wink:.
<<

johnlr

Posts: 41

Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 4:17 pm

Location: kiwi in aussie

Post Thu May 19, 2005 5:04 am

UncleTimmy wrote:I wouldn't say "obvious", but remember the page title. Does a maze care about the direction you use to traverse it? The answer is no :wink:.


But isn't the icecream van at the bottom? :wink:
<<

johnlr

Posts: 41

Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 4:17 pm

Location: kiwi in aussie

Post Thu May 19, 2005 5:48 am

Damn. I've been using pygame rather than PIL for poking round the maze. It turns out that pygame thinks it's ok to shift some of the colour values slightly :shock: I don't get a singe 0xff in the whole image. The background shows up as (0xfe, 0xfe, 0xfe). Back to the drawing board...
<<

UncleTimmy

Posts: 118

Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 3:44 pm

Post Thu May 19, 2005 10:59 am

johnlr wrote:Damn. I've been using pygame rather than PIL for poking round the maze. It turns out that pygame thinks it's ok to shift some of the colour values slightly :shock: I don't get a singe 0xff in the whole image. The background shows up as (0xfe, 0xfe, 0xfe). Back to the drawing board...


Ouch :cry: :!: It's generally true that exact pixel values have been important in levels with PNG files (and not at all in levels with JPEG files). Not that I'm saying it's true here, it's just an observation I wanted to share before I die :wink:
<<

johnlr

Posts: 41

Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 4:17 pm

Location: kiwi in aussie

Post Thu May 19, 2005 5:44 pm

Ouch :cry: :!: It's generally true that exact pixel values have been important in levels with PNG files (and not at all in levels with JPEG files). Not that I'm saying it's true here, it's just an observation I wanted to share before I die :wink:


It looks like pygame shifted every byte got shifted down by 1 except for zero of course. Other times pygame has worked fine. I just thought I better make a record here in case anyone else gets caught out. Now I just need a block of time to start over again...
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 13 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.