Level 20

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

stedi

Post Wed May 11, 2005 4:03 am

Re: I'm blind!

mjpieters wrote:No, you should do this with the first version; the second one could be used, but requires more work to make it go, as it doesn't deal well with the response code the server gives once you start digging.

I've used the younger version with Python2.4 with some success. There's indeed a problem with older Python versions.
<<

stedi

Post Wed May 11, 2005 5:54 am

I'm stuck

I found the file, but can't open it. I've found a hint about the needed secret, but I'm at a loss.
Is this a reference to a previous level? Did I miss somthing on this one?
I'd appreciate any kind of help. Thanks
<<

gabe

Post Wed May 11, 2005 6:01 am

So I've found the perimeter, so to speak, and an indication that what's beyond is pretty huge.

Asking for the same thing starting just after where I was told it ended didn't give me anything that was in any way whatsoever different, at any place.

So I have absolutely no idea what to do with the extra information. Any hints on what I should be thinking of?
<<

tah

Post Wed May 11, 2005 7:36 am

gabe wrote:So I've found the perimeter, so to speak, and an indication that what's beyond is pretty huge.

Asking for the same thing starting just after where I was told it ended didn't give me anything that was in any way whatsoever different, at any place.

So I have absolutely no idea what to do with the extra information. Any hints on what I should be thinking of?

If your are using Python 2.3, think about trying 2.4. I just switched and now I see something whereas before it sounds like I was seeing just what you're seeing. Nothing useful yet, but I seem to be on the right path.
<<

gabe

Post Wed May 11, 2005 8:15 am

If your are using Python 2.3, think about trying 2.4. I just switched and now I see something whereas before it sounds like I was seeing just what you're seeing. Nothing useful yet, but I seem to be on the right path.

As I get the exact same effect when using telnet and pretending to be a Python, I doubt that that has much to do with it...

There appears to be a magic number (with 020 in the middle). It doesn't lead anywhere, though, neither directly nor immediately past it - the result is always the same, starting at the beginning.

There's another potential magic number, which has a sequence-y aspect. There is nothing I could do with it that changed the results in the slightest, though (short of pointing to the exact same result as, say, .../pc/does_not_exist_no_really.html.
<<

rspyc

Post Wed May 11, 2005 8:21 am

gabe wrote:

As I get the exact same effect when using telnet and pretending to be a Python, I doubt that that has much to do with it...

There appears to be a magic number (with 020 in the middle). It doesn't lead anywhere, though, neither directly nor immediately past it - the result is always the same, starting at the beginning.

Hm. I've noticed a number with 020 in the middle, so I think we're on the same track, but I do see different results depending on the number I'm using. Are you sure you do everything correct?

Sadly, while I do get somewhat further than you (I think), it still leads me nowhere.

There's another potential magic number, which has a sequence-y aspect. There is nothing I could do with it that changed the results in the slightest, though (short of pointing to the exact same result as, say, .../pc/does_not_exist_no_really.html.

Another poster allready talked about a '404 artifact', but I have no idea what the both of you are talking about...
<<

stedi

Post Wed May 11, 2005 8:24 am

gabe wrote:There appears to be a magic number (with 020 in the middle). It doesn't lead anywhere, though, neither directly nor immediately past it - the result is always the same, starting at the beginning.

both numbers are indeed very important. Keep trying...
<<

stedi

Post Wed May 11, 2005 8:30 am

rspyc wrote:Hm. I've noticed a number with 020 in the middle, so I think we're on the same track, but I do see different results depending on the number I'm using. Are you sure you do everything correct?

Sadly, while I do get somewhat further than you (I think), it still leads me nowhere.

Another poster allready talked about a '404 artifact', but I have no idea what the both of you are talking about...

If you looked at the front atlready, maybe it's time to go around to the back... (but I don't know anything about a 404 artifact)
<<

rspyc

Post Wed May 11, 2005 8:48 am

stedi wrote:If you looked at the front atlready, maybe it's time to go around to the back... (but I don't know anything about a 404 artifact)

You're not the first to mention something back- or backward-ish, but now I finally get it. I had seen the number I need very often already, but I didn't look very good and I thought it was another number, one I deemed (probably unjustified, now that I think of it) totally irrelevant.

Gotta go, but at least I have a new track to follow now.
<<

stedi

Post Wed May 11, 2005 9:10 am

Re: I'm stuck

stedi wrote:I found the file, but can't open it. I've found a hint about the needed secret, but I'm at a loss.
Is this a reference to a previous level? Did I miss somthing on this one?
I'd appreciate any kind of help. Thanks

O.K., off to level 21 (I should have learned by now to check for all details)
Hint: don't let be scared away too easily, it might pay off at a later time...
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Wed May 11, 2005 10:34 am

Re: I'm blind!

mjpieters wrote:
UncleTimmy wrote:A clue in level 4 suggested a specific Python module, which I don't believe is strong enough to crack this one (caveat: I haven't solved level 20 yet, but I have been told I'm inside :wink:). I believe that module's newer brother is needed to even approach this one.

No, you should do this with the first version; the second one could be used, but requires more work to make it go, as it doesn't deal well with the response code the server gives once you start digging.

After some private msgs about this: (1) while you can do it with the first version, it at best requires using an undocumented method (the moral equivalent of which is documented in the newer version); and, (2) the newer version in Python 2.4+ doesn't have "the response code" problem mentioned here. I'll also note that the older version suppresses legitimate HTTP errors that the new version does not suppress, and I would not have found it helpful to have them suppressed (I don't know anything about the protocols here -- this is all poke and hope, and while an expert may simply be annoyed by an "expected exception", for me it's still a vital clue).
<<

jtauber

Post Wed May 11, 2005 8:00 pm

No matter what I ask for (using first module in 2.4) it seems to give me back the amount with 020 in it.

I can't seem to get it to take into account my 14.35
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Wed May 11, 2005 8:08 pm

Joy

Those wondering whether a Web Moron could get to the end of this can sleep well tonight -- I made it :lol: One last hint for those who follow (there really are a lot of strong hints for level 20 now): if, like me, you needed to teach yourself a bunch of stuff you didn't know to get started on this one, don't go overboard trying the more esoteric stuff you learned about: like all the others (in hindsight, anyway :wink:), level 20 is easier than it could have been. "Find the trick and stick to it" is usually good advice for good puzzles. Except when it's not :evil:
<<

jtauber

Post Wed May 11, 2005 9:05 pm

okay, i've got the data - just don't understand the nickname bit

my earlier problem was not noticing enough that what you need to send doesn't look quite like what it reports back (thanks Tim)
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Wed May 11, 2005 9:18 pm

jtauber wrote:okay, i've got the data - just don't understand the nickname bit

my earlier problem was not noticing ...

Indeed :wink:.
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints