FAQ  •  Login

Level 17

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

rspyc

Post Sun May 08, 2005 11:04 am

UncleTimmy wrote:If misery loves company, I'm still stuck at the start too. Guessed 3 URLs that gave text messages back (and guessed at a great many more that didn't ...), but taking their advice still leaves me staring at the original cookie picture and its peculiar seemingly irrelevant font color spec. Not much to show for two days' work :)

That font color spec is in all pages in all levels I have looked at, so it really is irrelevant.

Anyway, doesn't the small picture ring a bell? You've seen it before. Now go back and play. And don't forget about the cookies.
<<

rspyc

Post Sun May 08, 2005 11:07 am

mjpieters wrote:And don't confuse the server side with the client side protocol of course.

Am I correct in thinking that I need to play the musical instrument I found? Or should I approach L in another manner?
<<

mjpieters

Site Admin

Post Sun May 08, 2005 11:59 am

UncleTimmy wrote:...still leaves me staring at the original cookie picture and its peculiar seemingly irrelevant font color spec.

Doesn't the inset picture remind you of an earlier level? Did you take a look there to remind yourself? Make sure you look for the snacks there too.
<<

mjpieters

Site Admin

Post Sun May 08, 2005 12:12 pm

rspyc wrote:Am I correct in thinking that I need to play the musical instrument I found? Or should I approach L in another manner?

Heh; second guessing URLs is not going to leave you with any clues as to what to do, so I'll leave it at saying that you missed out some steps.
<<

rspyc

Post Sun May 08, 2005 12:15 pm

mjpieters wrote:Heh; second guessing URLs is not going to leave you with any clues as to what to do, so I'll leave it at saying that you missed out some steps.

Damn, I seem to have that problem every time again. Weird, I wouldn't know what I have done wrong. Everything seemed quite logical (in hindsight, at least).
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Sun May 08, 2005 1:15 pm

rspyc wrote:...
Anyway, doesn't the small picture ring a bell? You've seen it before. Now go back and play. And don't forget about the cookies.

mjpieters wrote:Doesn't the inset picture remind you of an earlier level?

If I didn't know better, I'd think you're trying to tell me something :oops:.

Fact is, no, the inset didn't remind me of anything at all -- else I would have gone back and played. Starting over at level 0, and eventually finding what you're obviously talking about, I could swear I've never seen it before. LOL -- what a chucklehead I am. Thanks for the push!
<<

mjpieters

Site Admin

Post Sun May 08, 2005 1:38 pm

rspyc wrote:The only yummy snacks I've seen are c.{7}e c.{3}s, but I tried that (and countless other variations and combinations) with no success.

Hah, I hadn't noticed the particular variation of cookies yet, nor seen the extra pages there.

I was referring to the recipy of the snacks you found during your travels to Mr. L. Such snacks consist of two components, of which you collected the second component each time. But the first component is important too!
<<

rspyc

Post Sun May 08, 2005 1:44 pm

Now I understand what you meant al along with recipes for cookies along the way, and why you thought I had missed some steps :)

It's just that I know both kinds of cookies, but in my mind the meanings are that much apart that I don't usually associate the one with the other.
<<

weiwha

Post Sun May 08, 2005 3:00 pm

This one's taking me a while & I manage to get stuck where others have gotten stuck, despite the hints.
Dan wrote:Now I've found a "that's it" message, but what's "it"?
Exactly.
But have you found the compressed file yet?
No.
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Sun May 08, 2005 4:01 pm

weiwha wrote:This one's taking me a while & I manage to get stuck where others have gotten stuck, despite the hints.
Dan wrote:Now I've found a "that's it" message, but what's "it"?
Exactly.
But have you found the compressed file yet?
No.

There was an earlier level where info was given all along the way to getting to its version of "that's it", but where you would have missed it unless you knew it was there to be collected -- and figured out how to collect it. Perhaps it's possible that this level isn't entirely unlike that one?

I'm not a Web Guy, and don't know anything about baking, selling, buying, or exchanging this kind of snack -- my browser knows all about it, but I never had a need. The relevant Python Library docs are pretty much incomprehensible too if you're in the same boat.

I eventually solved it anyway, via brute force and dumb luck, so it's possible. If you're not a Web Person either, it may be equally painful for you. But if you are a Web Person, quit thinking and just solve it :).
<<

johnlr

Post Sun May 08, 2005 5:40 pm

UncleTimmy wrote:
johnlr wrote:I wish I new where you guys are finding this stuff.. obviously I have a block or something. Maybe I should eat the cookies..yeah that's it. I bet the file is under the cookies... mmmm

Did that help :wink:? If misery loves company, I'm still stuck at the start too. Guessed 3 URLs that gave text messages back (and guessed at a great many more that didn't ...), but taking their advice still leaves me staring at the original cookie picture and its peculiar seemingly irrelevant font color spec. Not much to show for two days' work :)

I found a file now, but I can't quite work out what to do with it. Maybe you need to take the advice of the 3rd message with more enthusiasm.
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Sun May 08, 2005 6:58 pm

johnlr wrote:I found a file now, but I can't quite work out what to do with it.

Does anything about it seem familiar from a previous level? (Of course I'm guessing at what you found, so that might not be helpful.)

johnlr wrote:Maybe you need to take the advice of the 3rd message with more enthusiasm.

Exactly :wink:, although I'm not sure what "3rd message" means. If you're counting from the top of the 3rd page of level 17 msgs, yup, the first and third messages got me unstuck. After that, I knew what I needed to do for remaining steps, but required education in the craft of snack bartering to get it all done.
<<

johnlr

Post Sun May 08, 2005 7:07 pm

Basically I am stuck exactly where mjpieters was on the first post of this thread. I have a sequence of 118 elements, but get an error when I try to process it. There are some plusses in the sequence which I suspect are the ones that are supposed to confuse me. I think I need to look at everything again. Arrgh
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Sun May 08, 2005 8:06 pm

johnlr wrote:Basically I am stuck exactly where mjpieters was on the first post of this thread. I have a sequence of 118 elements, but get an error when I try to process it. There are some plusses in the sequence which I suspect are the ones that are supposed to confuse me. I think I need to look at everything again. Arrgh

I don't think they're intended to confuse you. If you have prior experience with snack bartering, it's obvious why they're there; but if you don't, it will be a real mystery at first.

BTW, did you mean the plural (plusses)? That part surprised me.
<<

johnlr

Post Sun May 08, 2005 9:20 pm

UncleTimmy wrote:BTW, did you mean the plural (plusses)? That part surprised me.

Well there are two, but I think only one is important :?
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints