FAQ  •  Login

Level 10

Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

DJohn

Post Thu May 12, 2005 6:53 am

Yep. Teensy bug in my sequence algorithm. It got the first four (the ones supplied) right, but the next wrong. On my way I go...
<<

drigz

Post Sat May 21, 2005 9:43 am

I solved this without hettingertools - indeed, I cannot work out what they are. Can someone (PM if spoiler) tell me what they are and why they might be useful?
<<

naib

Post Sat May 21, 2005 9:59 am

drigz wrote:I solved this without hettingertools - indeed, I cannot work out what they are. Can someone (PM if spoiler) tell me what they are and why they might be useful?

BEst bet is to goto the Wiki, it will ONLY let you see the solution to levels you have solved.

After solving a solution I always goto the Wiki to check the solution given. one twice have I got a better way of doing it, other time were more efficient loops and embedding code.

check it out
<<

slinkp

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:32 am

drigz wrote:I solved this without hettingertools - indeed, I cannot work out what they are. Can someone (PM if spoiler) tell me what they are and why they might be useful?

Google answers the "what" question. As to "why", they're not necessary - the wiki contains various solutions, not all of which use "hettingertools".
And even if you have "hettingertools", the version of Python you have installed matters. Mine is a bit old so I found that hint merely confusing.

As it turns out, I found the "ugliest" solution :roll:
<<

teimu

Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:32 pm

if it helps at all, the pattern is quite similar to the pattern of a famous Italian mathematician.

but, as for the order of the 1's and 2's, that still is beyond me
<<

RayD

Post Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:12 am

Whuah. I stared at the sequence for hours until finally I came across it in wolfram's MathWorld. I feel a bit like a cheater :(
<<

bitkidoku

Post Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:19 am

weeee

cool sequence, and cool puzzle! thanks again.
<<

RaH

Post Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:04 pm

Ok I know the progression, I am more than able to solve by hand if I choose to, I would however rather write a script to solve it. I have sought out the name and the tools mentioned and I fail to see how they can help. A nudge toward either the proper function or at least more complete documentation would be appreciated.
<<

juarez

Post Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:02 pm

no external modules needed

Good programming exercise.
<<

Mower

Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:16 am

I can't get anywhere on this one. I kind of understand the clue len(a[30]). I found the other clue in the source but im not sure what to do with it tryed setting that equal to a and running but i got an out of range error. Also the 1, 11... pattern someone posted earlier is going way over my head I have no idea where someone even came up with that. Any cllues would be much appreciated.

edit - I got the 1, 11 , 21... sequence that was being talked about earlier i can right it out by hand but the python code is giving me trouble + righting it out by hand would take redicosly long
<<

JohnJSal

Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:27 am

is 'hettingertools' the actual name of the module, or is that just a hint toward the real module he wrote?
<<

ajohnson

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:52 pm

More of a hint I think, at least, it pointed me in a direction of a module that worked. There may be another module I am unaware of.
<<

ajquigley

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:27 pm

Someone has never been on a farm

(Posted here rather than 9 to avoid spoilage) The picture that leads to this level is a cow, not a bull. :roll:
The factory options are a bit different on a bull. :P
<<

changeling

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:10 am

Regarding the pattern, there is a potential red herring (misdirection).

The first thing I noticed, which holds true for all the given elements of the pattern, but breaks with the next three, sent me down the wrong road, until I came in here and read one of the first hints.

Anyhow, I initially proceeded according the following:

I paid zero attention to the ones, with one exception. The twos are the ones..., well, the only ones to which I paid a bit of attention. Approaching the problem from this perspective, it all adds up nicely, until, that is, you attempt to apply the solution. It completely overlooks three things.

Anyhow, whether this helps you or not, in hindsight, would it have helped me? Looking at it now, I should say so.
<<

efish

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:38 am

I figure it out, it's like cell division. There are 3 kinds of cells.
a->b; b->c,a; c->a,c
abc mean something..... that's the pattern
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints