Moderators: UncleTimmy, mjpieters

Enjoying the challenge? Need a hint?
Make a donation and help keep the site running! -thesamet
<<

Dan

Post Mon May 09, 2005 12:57 pm

gabe wrote:
did you take a good look at the error message

For the moment, I'm assuming a server-side bug.

That's what I thought at first, but it isn't.

Do the tags look at all familiar?
<<

gabe

Post Mon May 09, 2005 1:13 pm

Do the tags look at all familiar?

Heck, yes. That's exactly why I assumed a server-side issue.

Should have remembered that remote calls can be initiated locally, so to speak.
<<

rspyc

Post Mon May 09, 2005 1:44 pm

gabe wrote:
did you take a good look at the error message

Yes. But it stays the same, whatever parameters I GET or POST; "XML error: no element found at line 1" is simply not very helpful.

Feeding XML-ish data via POST changes nothing, and the error gives no DTD.

For the moment, I'm assuming a server-side bug.

Hehe, that's what I thought too at first. It's really a client-side problem though; you need to find another way to talk to the server.

As a hint, I can tell you that I have learned about a number of Python modules that I never used before, thanks to many levels in the Python Challenge. This level is no exception.
<<

LaloLanda

Post Mon May 09, 2005 3:09 pm

Do I need to be a HTTP/PHP/XML whiz? I know WHO to call, and I'm guessing I need to feed some parameters to the phonebook, but I've no ideas regarding how to do that. I know nothing of the sort, could you give some pointers?
<<

UncleTimmy

Post Mon May 09, 2005 3:37 pm

LaloLanda wrote:Do I need to be a HTTP/PHP/XML whiz?

No, but it wouldn't hurt. It's somewhat akin to asking whether you need to be an HTTP whiz to use urllib. Well, no, not at all -- although it sure wouldn't hurt if you were :wink:.

LaloLanda wrote:I know WHO to call, and I'm guessing I need to feed some parameters to the phonebook, but I've no ideas regarding how to do that. I know nothing of the sort, could you give some pointers?

I was in the same boat: knew who to call, but not how. I figured it out, using a Python module I'd never even looked at before. It's hard to say something helpful without giving it all away for someone who has done this kind of thing before! So here's an obscure hint: at some point in this level, you may have seen an adjective applied to "evil". If so, search the Python Library manual for that.
<<

vincebowdren

Post Tue May 17, 2005 10:58 am

Failure to connect

Well, I think I've deciphered the hints enough to know what I'm supposed to be doing - but what if I just get a "Connection refused" message back?
<<

vincebowdren

Post Tue May 17, 2005 11:14 am

My mistake

Ah, that turned out to be my firewall at work. Am using a different client site now and can connect happily.
<<

dstockto

Post Wed May 18, 2005 1:35 pm

I know who to call, I know his number, but I don't know how to dial a number. I would really appreciate some help for this part.

Thanks,
Dave
<<

drigz

Post Sat May 21, 2005 1:41 pm

If the error means as little to you as it did to me, I think google is the only way... on to 14 now!
<<

JonyEpsilon

Post Mon May 23, 2005 11:27 am

dstockto wrote:I know who to call, I know his number, but I don't know how to dial a number. I would really appreciate some help for this part.

Me too !

Anybody got any hints ? (I couldn't make head nor tail of the "like the previous levels but more" so hint).

Jony
<<

scott_kirkwood

Post Mon May 23, 2005 3:49 pm

JonyEpsilon wrote:
dstockto wrote:I know who to call, I know his number, but I don't know how to dial a number. I would really appreciate some help for this part.

Me too !

Anybody got any hints ? (I couldn't make head nor tail of the "like the previous levels but more" so hint).

Jony

Me three, I know who's Evil, got his number too, now I don't know for sure if it's an URL or a method, or what.
<<

rspyc

Post Mon May 23, 2005 3:56 pm

scott_kirkwood wrote:Me three, I know who's Evil, got his number too, now I don't know for sure if it's an URL or a method, or what.

If you've got the number, you're nearly there. The number consists of two parts, but only one of them is relevant. It shouldn't be too difficult to figure out which one. Doing something useful with it is not too hard either.
<<

scott_kirkwood

Post Tue May 24, 2005 5:27 am

rspyc wrote:
scott_kirkwood wrote:Me three, I know who's Evil, got his number too, now I don't know for sure if it's an URL or a method, or what.

If you've got the number, you're nearly there. The number consists of two parts, but only one of them is relevant. It shouldn't be too difficult to figure out which one. Doing something useful with it is not too hard either.

Thanks that helped.
<<

dstockto

Post Tue May 24, 2005 12:20 pm

Man, I could have sworn I tried that already, but I guess not. On to the next sweet level.
<<

clck

Post Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:39 pm

proxy!

:(

I think I know how to work towards the answer, but I am behind a restrictive HTTP Proxy at my connection; and I'm sure [spoiler] in python doesn't support it.

I'm at a loss.
PreviousNext

Return to Python Challenge Hints